Rain guards / vent visors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wife is interested in those plastic things that let you have the window down an inch or so without rain coming in.

Years ago we bought a van that had them and liked the functionality although I never cared for the taped-on look. They never fell off, so there's that.

As I'm scanning Amazon that's about all I see ... "non-in channel" style (taped on). Doesn't someone make these things that don't tape onto the door frame, and sorta tuck under/into the upper channel somehow? Those look nicer to me.

I appreciate any recommendations. Regular cab.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Cool. They didn't have them when I looked last year.
I smoke cigars and gotta have the window cracked to keep a/c in, rain out, and vent the smoke. I've had them on almost every vehicle I've owned. Definitely won't win a truck show with them, but they're functional.
I've had two sets of weathertech in channels (not on a GMT400). You have to keep an eye on them with the windows down past the contact point. They will try to slip out and will shake around. I prefer the stick on for that reason, in channel does look better though. Haven't tried any other brand.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Nice, I didn't know they had a modern plastic version that slides into the window frame. I've only seen the old stainless version that you would always see on Squarebodies. I used to have the stick-on type, but after many years the tape was failing and I removed them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never tried the WeatherTech brand, but I fought some Auto Ventshade brand in-channels on my red truck for a while. As mentioned, they didn't stay in place very securely and IMO didn't fit like they should've. I ended up just going with the stick on ones, and eventually removing those too.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never tried the WeatherTech brand, but I fought some Auto Ventshade brand in-channels on my red truck for a while. As mentioned, they didn't stay in place very securely and IMO didn't fit like they should've. I ended up just going with the stick on ones, and eventually removing those too.

The stick-ons that I had were Autoventshades. Why did you remove them? I probably had mine on for 10 years and I think that's decent for something made out of plastic that simply sticks on. First, I noticed the tape started leaking water, and then it started coming loose, so when I got sick of that I took them off. I've considered getting another set, but I'm concerned that they may look a little dated now..... not quite the "Lund Look", but still :)

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The stick-ons that I had were Autoventshades. Why did you removed them? I probably had mine on for 10 years and I think that's decent for something made out of plastic that simply sticks on. First, I noticed the tape started leaking water, and then it started coming loose, so when I got sick of that I took them off. I've considered getting another set, but I'm concerned that they may look a little dated now..... not quite the "Lund Look", but still :)

I quit smoking. :lol:

The stick on Auto Ventshades worked fine for me. I just never liked the look so once I didn't have the need for them any more, they came off. Not a fun job... It took me a while to get all the 3M tape off. Especially on the Suburban, lots of windows.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I quit smoking. :lol:

HA... I can always tell the smokers when it's raining or snowing/cold out..... window always down an inch or so.

I don't smoke, but I've alway been big on air circulation, I guess. It seems like I'm always hot, or feel like it's stuffy/humid in the truck.... I need air movement! I'm working on wearing out my 3rd blower motor now.

The stick on Auto Ventshades worked fine for me. I just never liked the look so once I didn't have the need for them any more, they came off. Not a fun job... It took me a while to get all the 3M tape off. Especially on the Suburban, lots of windows.

I have a regular cab, so only two. I'm glad I wasn't doing a Suburban.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't smoke, but I've alway been big on air circulation, I guess. It seems like I'm always hot, or feel like it's stuffy/humid in the truck.... I need air movement! I've worn out several blower motors now.

I can relate, my blower motors are never "off." I've only been through one in each truck, but I keep them at least on low at all times. I roll around with the windows down quite a bit, but I just deal with not being able to do so in the rain now. The improvement in looks is worth the minor inconvenience to me.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the minivan we had, I felt like having them allowed air inside without as much wind buffeting hitting you in the face. Our A/C is out, so rain guards would be assisting with cooling in that way until I can find someone to fix it.

Note to self: Be not so tempted to additionally open the rear sliding glass UNLESS the bed is empty LOL. Kept getting leaves blown in while driving. :)

I'm a little bummed to learn the in-channel kind might not hold, but given that the tape-on style might not also work forever (we got lucky with our minivan?) I'll give these a whirl.