Rag Joint Delete??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the factory steering rack and swapped in a early model Cherokee rack? The idea is to eliminate the rag joint design and replace with a universal joint design...
If anyone has done it, would you recommend it and consider it an upgrade or would you recommend just going with a factory rack?

I had A LOT of play in my steering and when I lifted my truck I rebuilt the entire suspension including the gear box (helped some but still play) I’m hoping it’s just the rag joint and not the column...

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the factory steering rack and swapped in a early model Cherokee rack? The idea is to eliminate the rag joint design and replace with a universal joint design...
If anyone has done it, would you recommend it and consider it an upgrade or would you recommend just going with a factory rack?

I had A LOT of play in my steering and when I lifted my truck I rebuilt the entire suspension including the gear box (helped some but still play) I’m hoping it’s just the rag joint and not the column...

Yes it's been done. Believe theres some threads on it. Also lmc sell the shaft I think it's there hd version

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my rag joint with a Flaming River u-joint. I didn’t notice much difference, but my rag joint wasn’t bad yet. I did not like the way the u-joint was secured with set screws though and modified it for a more secure attachment.

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you calling a "rack"? Jeep steering shaft swaps are common and well documented here, but you can't use them on later GMT-400s because it introduces a 3rd joint in the system.
I have a 1994. I’m assuming that does not qualify as a later model. The jeep steering shaft swap is what I am referring to... if my rag joint is in poor shape with 276k miles, do you know if I would see any reasonable improvement?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on how worn it is... mine could move left and right and would make more play in the steering.... with a new one it's more tighter

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have a 1994. I’m assuming that does not qualify as a later model. The jeep steering shaft swap is what I am referring to... if my rag joint is in poor shape with 276k miles, do you know if I would see any reasonable improvement?

I think 95 or 96 was the year that it was switched, but I don't know for sure. I have a 99 with a new rag joint. I did replace the rag joint, and found little improvement, in fact my steering wheel is now off. Apparently there is a bit of slop before torquing the bolts down. The real issue with my truck, I beleive is my "rebuilt" steering box not lasting very long. I'm not daily driving the truck anymore, and am not going to worry about the rag joint again until I get around to getting a steering box rebuilt.