Radiator trans cooler question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I developed a leak in one of the plastic tanks in my radiator, so I bought a new radiator at NAPA, lifetime warranty, I forget, maybe Spectra brand? Anyhow, install went fairly easy, but now I have a steady drip on the lower transmission cooler line when the engine is running. Looking at the rad I pulled, looks like it has O-rings in the female end of both the fittings? Maybe my eyes are just getting worse. LOL. Anyhow, I will get a pick or something and try to see if I can pull whatever might be in there out, if that's what is needed.

I have replaced radiators in the past and don't remember any O-rings in there. I didn't try using any Teflon tape to try and seal the fittings, but don't recall ever having to do that either. I tried snugging it down a little more with a wrench, no difference.

The supplied instructions don't mention O-rings or Teflon tape. Neither does my Haynes repair manual. It was a little difficult getting the cooler lines thread started, but not too bad and pretty confident nothing is cross threaded.

Anyone had a similar problem?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Anyone had a similar problem?

Mine leaked a little, but I didn't have it tightened down far enough.... that was about 9 years ago. I don't think the transmission side uses o-rings... aren't they flare fittings? The oil cooler side does use o-rings, and I don't have that connected right now.

My truck is 5 years newer.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am talking about the cooler side and it does have flared fittings.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am talking about the cooler side and it does have flared fittings.

Cooler side? Ok, when I said "transmission side" I did not mean the actual transmission, I meant the transmission cooler side of the radiator, as opposed to the oil cooler side of the radiator. Maybe you don't have an oil cooler. Any how, if they're flare fittings (like brake lines use), they don't use o-rings. The oil cooler does use o-rings, but they're not flare fittings... I don't know what they're called.

Some radiators comes with brass adapters, but I don't know what they adapt.... fitting kind? Size? Maybe take a look at those if you got them in the box. Otherwise maybe the radiator is defective?

I really need a new radiator again, so I will be revisiting this myself. My driver's side tank is cracked. I think the upper radiator hose bounces while driving and eventually stress cracks the tank. I've since strapped the hose down.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, I just bought a new radiator with both oil and trans coolers, The oil side (drivers side) has O-rings and the Trans side (Pass Side) has flares. Mine also came with brass adapters for both trans and oil.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, looks like the trans cooler to me, the fluid is a deep almost purplish red. And I fished out a square shouldered profile O-ring or grommet. I will try and attach a couple of pics. A little blurry, but hard to zoom in, hold my hand still, and get a decent pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A side view of this grommet or O-ring.

You must be registered for see images attach

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will try and match up the one I managed to fish out of the fitting on the old radiator. The O-ring in the upper fitting is not wanting to come out, seems like the get deformed when the fittings get tightened and makes them hard to get out. Probably helps them seal tighter?

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went back to NAPA and explained my situation. The parts guy brought out a box full of O-rings, and we picked the closest match. They weren't squared off edge type like what I pulled out of the old radiator, just regular rounded profile O-rings. Anyhow, put a little Vaseline on them to help hold them in place in the fittings, reinstalled the lines and snugged them down, and so far no more leaks. Hope it holds up over time.