radiator issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay so i was commuting back from school the other day and my truck started over heating so i pulled over and all my coolant had poured all over the pavement, so i look at my rad and the drain tap is gone. so i put in another free used rad with working plug and iim good to go for a couple days, no leaks no nothing. today i drove my truck for 15 mins and its leaking out of the drain tap i believe. i pulled the plug and the 0-ring seems in decent shape. is this a common issue? can i just replace the plug? or what is your opinion? its a 96 5.7 vortec btw

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The radiator cap isn't relieving pressure like it should and it's blowing out the drain tap?

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The radiator cap isn't relieving pressure like it should and it's blowing out the drain tap?
that may be possible, but ive driven it about 400km's since changing it and its worked well up until yesterday. maybe ill try my other rad cap.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Probably would get a new o-ring for it. They can be damaged and look just fine. Grease it before you install it to get a good seal. Any parts house should have a o-ring assortment and be able to sell you an individual one for $0.30

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just broke down and bought a new radiator for it. apparently its the "heavy duty" application? seems pretty beast in size compared to my original. this better solve my issue.