Radiator... Fix or get new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My plastic endcap is cracked and need to either get it fixed or replace the whole radiator.

There is a shop that said they can replace the endcap for $60 if I bring them the radiator or $100 if I bring the truck to them and they take it out.

Or do I just buy a whole new radiator? IDK what size though... I measured it quickly without taking the fan shroud off and it was 41in from end to end, about 20in tall and 2.5in thick... I can't find that size and I want to order or buy one before I take it out.

Is there an average size.. I see a couple differant sizes.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Take the 8 or so bolts out of the shroud, measure it up and replace it with a brand new rad, while you are in there, change out the hoses if they haven't been done in the last 3-4 years.

New hoses upper, lower and bypass, should run you around $30 on top of the rad and a couple jugs of coolant. Might be not a bad idea to toss in a thermostat at the same time while the system is open.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the thermostat a couple months ago, prbably will get new hoses. I now the top looked newer but idk about the bottom. And where is the bypass hose?

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
A radiator shop told me in the mid 90's not to have a plastic tank radiator repaired. To much risk of weakening the metal tabs that hold the tank on to the core when they are bent back open and closed.

I myself always buy a new one. Most come with a lifetime warranty. And with how long I keep vehicles that pays off in the long run. And I also buy new for my customers.

Most whom have had them repaired in the past end up buying a new one before to long.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had the tanks replaced on my original radiator. The tabs were fine. What did eventually go was the oil cooler, but it was several more years until that happened. For only $60, I'd get the tank replaced. Otherwise check Amazon for a new Delphi.

People generally don't buy radiators by size, they buy them like any other part..... they buy it by what's listed for their vehicle.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes but our trucks have 3-4 choices for each year... you usually have to know how many core and the width of the core whether it has trans cooler and or engine oil cooler. So most people in a gm400 have no choice but to shop by size... some don't but any that I've looked seem to want to know the core size(between the tanks)...

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've replaced the rad in my truck twice (first one was original, second one blew up by operator error), and both times, the shops wanted to know the size of the rad because there were too many choices for a 1994 5.7L half ton.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just replace it, I got a Spectra one for my Tahoe from Pepboys had a lifetime warranty on it, had it for 2 years now no issues

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Replaced mine this week due to a cracked tank. Picked one up from Advance Auto for about $120 (Retailmenot discount code). I had just replaced all the hoses two weeks ago. I don't think I'd repair an old one.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget to knock the plastic tanks off the old one and take it down to the local scrappers for a few bucks beer money. :)

Richard

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bturner333