Radiator... Fix or get new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So other then size what am I needing to know...

I have two metal lines on the pass. side of the radiator, nothing on the drivers side that I can see. I also have a small radiatorin front of the big one.

The options are with/without engine oil cooler and with/without trans cooler how do I know what I have?

95 Silverado Z71 ext. cab

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If there are lines on the driver's side, you have an engine oil cooler. You have indicated that you have lines on the passenger side, that is the transmission cooler.

Like I said, remove the bolts from the shroud ( only need to take off the top half ) to measure the core thickness, the width and the height to make sure you get the correct one.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got one from 1 800 radiator for 150 dollars life time warranty will ship nationwide too outta Tyler Texas had all the oil cooler lines and trans cooler hookups for you auto guys and that radiator is same for 88-04 GMT trucks only difference is the fittings for the coolers comes with the adapters too.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yes but our trucks have 3-4 choices for each year... you usually have to know how many core and the width of the core whether it has trans cooler and or engine oil cooler. So most people in a gm400 have no choice but to shop by size... some don't but any that I've looked seem to want to know the core size(between the tanks)...

No, you're not shopping by size. You're only using the size to narrow down the choices for your truck. You don't walk into the store and say I need a 41" x 2.5" x 20" radiator. You tell them the year, make and model, and THEN you discuss the things you mentioned.

I'll admit, I've got it easy with my truck.....big blocks don't have much in the way of choices.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
The plastic tank on my radiator cracked not to long ago. The original was a 34" with both coolers and a 1" core depth.
I replaced it with a 34" with both coolers, but I opted for the 2.25" core depth.
It's probably overkill but it fit perfect.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
There should be one coming off the passenger side cylinder head at the back that goes to the frame, one that bolts down low on the front of the engine on a threaded boss near where the balancer and the fuel pump boss casting is. IIRC the one on the back of the cylinder head runs through a steel tube down with wires to the starter.

Your ground wires may be corroded.