Question about the 87-95 blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that number on back is the casting, the one on the pad in front on the PS is the suffix it helps alot too but could be removed if the block was decked.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that number on back is the casting, the one on the pad in front on the PS is the suffix it helps alot too but could be removed if the block was decked.

It does if you want to identify the origin of an engine. But in this instance if the OP's truck has the original engine in it, it's just going to come back as a TBI truck engine..... which could be a roller ready block, or have no provision for it at all.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
my 305 was tbi and had the provisions for the roller cam spider...and it was a flat tappet....
there are more pics of my truck on photobucket(low4x4) and you tube (95bluetruck)

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The number/casting doesn't help much either, it says for mine 87-95 roller or flat tappet, so how does that help any?

Now the suffix yea it helps you to tel lwhat it is or came from but not sure if it would help anymore on the roller or not. I don't know if mine has provision for mech. fuel pump or not.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The number/casting doesn't help much either, it says for mine 87-95 roller or flat tappet, so how does that help any?

Now the suffix yea it helps you to tel lwhat it is or came from but not sure if it would help anymore on the roller or not. I don't know if mine has provision for mech. fuel pump or not.

Because if you look at the post I originally made in this thread it breaks down blocks and roller compatibility via casting number...............

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well as I had said yea the casting number does tell you that some are roller, but that doesn't really mean anything, just like we both said it says flat tap or roller and whether or not it has a roller in it is hard to say, but yes you can use either very easy. I also know the suffix isn't going to help much for determining whther or not it's roller but I always read the suffix it tells me alot more then the casting due to the year break down or hp range and alot of the times it tells you whether or not it's 2 bolt or 4 bolts without having to tear into it.

I listed it for general purposes, not to say ohh the suffix will tell you for sure everything about it, just a bit more info and specifics without tearings it down.

The only true way of finding out anything is tearing it down. I forget which mine is but it came back to a flat tap. or roller 2 or 4 bolt from 87-95, other then that I found nothing else out about my block since I could not find my suffix online.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well as I had said yea the casting number does tell you that some are roller, but that doesn't really mean anything, just like we both said it says flat tap or roller and whether or not it has a roller in it is hard to say, but yes you can use either very easy. I also know the suffix isn't going to help much for determining whther or not it's roller but I always read the suffix it tells me alot more then the casting due to the year break down or hp range and alot of the times it tells you whether or not it's 2 bolt or 4 bolts without having to tear into it.

I listed it for general purposes, not to say ohh the suffix will tell you for sure everything about it, just a bit more info and specifics without tearings it down.

The only true way of finding out anything is tearing it down. I forget which mine is but it came back to a flat tap. or roller 2 or 4 bolt from 87-95, other then that I found nothing else out about my block since I could not find my suffix online.

My original quote is broken down into two groups. Blocks that are roller compatible and ones that are not. There is no guess work in that case. If you read what is written there what that means is the ones listed as flat tappet are not provisioned for roller cam, period. The roller blocks are roller compatible but may very well have had a flat tappet cam installed from the factory. That answers the OP's question completely as it really doesn't matter where or what the block came from. If it's a flat tappet cam block casting, it does not hve the roller provisions cast in it and the roller blocks of course do....... regardless if it was in a TPI Camaro, a Caprice or a TBI truck.

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
My original quote is broken down into two groups. Blocks that are roller compatible and ones that are not. There is no guess work in that case. If you read what is written there what that means is the ones listed as flat tappet are not provisioned for roller cam, period. The roller blocks are roller compatible but may very well have had a flat tappet cam installed from the factory. That answers the OP's question completely as it really doesn't matter where or what the block came from. If it's a flat tappet cam block casting, it does not hve the roller provisions cast in it and the roller blocks of course do....... regardless if it was in a TPI Camaro, a Caprice or a TBI truck.

BUT not all roller blocks are 100% ready for roller, they still may need to be drilled/tapped.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as it has the bosses then its all set in my eyes. I have no problem drilling/tapping it for the hold down.