502 big block?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a 502 block for sale $400 looks good. Casting no. 10237300.

Seems like a good candidate for cheap 500 horse with the little I know about BBC.

I don’t know much about these, but if I were to choose a big block Chevrolet, I can think of 3 general applications, forgive my terminology, so I’ll use salsa terms.

No spice-mild (truck, towing, daily driver) mild-medium (daily driver, street/strip, towing, weekend fun) and HOT (drag, any racing, daily driver if you’re that type of person like me lol).

Maybe someone can help my knowledge with big blocks? Bottom end, Heads, cam, intake, carb/efi combinations for each of those 3 applications? Just a general idea. I’m new to engine building, and have mainly fooled with SBC, which still happens to be my favorite lol.

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
$400 sounds like a good deal..... almost too good! Lol
I think to make it easier for everyone who wants to get in on this, how much $$$$ are you willing to spend?
Waaaaaaaay to many variables, a realistic budget helps us help you.
My budget is whatever I want it to be, it just takes longer to save for whatever I want. ‍haha that’s why I mentioned 3 combos lol

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AFR heads, Callies crank, Molnar rods (and maybe crank), Wiseco or JE pistons, roller cam, jesel valvetrain, Jesel timing belt, Air Gap intake FI system chosen based on your calculated horsepower.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My budget is whatever I want it to be, it just takes longer to save for whatever I want. ‍haha that’s why I mentioned 3 combos lol
Well first things first, I'd get the block checked out by a reputable machine shop before you piss any money into building it.

Then cruise Summit or Jegs sites looking at what engines make the HP/TQ that you are looking for. Then follow the recipe that they used, no sense trying to reinvent the wheel here.
Use the same cam specs, cylinder head specs etc.

And then decide if you wanna mess with a carb all the time, or fuel injection. Then find the best one for how much you wanna spend. You are into a Edlebrock or Holley system for 3g's minimum.

And then start saving up for transmission and rear end after you blow them sky high!!! Lol

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well first things first, I'd get the block checked out by a reputable machine shop before you piss any money into building it.

Then cruise Summit or Jegs sites looking at what engines make the HP/TQ that you are looking for. Then follow the recipe that they used, no sense trying to reinvent the wheel here.
Use the same cam specs, cylinder head specs etc.

And then decide if you wanna mess with a carb all the time, or fuel injection. Then find the best one for how much you wanna spend. You are into a Edlebrock or Holley system for 3g's minimum.

And then start saving up for transmission and rear end after you blow them sky high!!! Lol
lol thanks man