Big Block -or small block?? 1994 K1500 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still have a 305tpi laying around that is destined for a turbo if it fits in the car that it is for. But for a truck, bbc or ls. I did have a 383 tpi long ago in a 95 k1500 with nv3500. But eventually took tpi off to sell separately and stuck a carb on the 383.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo TPI. Now there's an interesting concept. I'm not real into turbos, but that is interesting. I'm guessing the turbo "sidesteps" the TPI's inability to breathe above 4500 rpms?? More info?

Yeah, for my truck, I think I need the big block, or I'll be unhappy...

Thanks,
Vettepilot

Last edited:

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have a 305tpi laying around that is destined for a turbo if it fits in the car that it is for. But for a truck, bbc or ls. I did have a 383 tpi long ago in a 95 k1500 with nv3500. But eventually took tpi off to sell separately and stuck a carb on the 383.
You must be registered for see images attach
If you don't mind, how did you set that up to run without the MAF? Megasquirt?

Vettepilot

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Turbo TBI. Now there's an interesting concept. I'm not real into turbos, but that is interesting. I'm guessing the turbo "sidesteps" the TPI's inability to breathe above 4500 rpms?? More info?

Yeah, for my truck, I think I need the big block, or I'll be unhappy...

Thanks,
Vettepilot
Exactly! TPI pulls strong down low but at higher airflows chokes the engine. The turbo shoves it in anyway. Great combo!

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boost really just moves the existing curve up assuming properly sized turbo and all that. If you want to change the shape of the curve, you'd need an electronic boost controller so that you can tweak it to have more boost at high rpms.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't mind, how did you set that up to run without the MAF? Megasquirt?

Vettepilot
That filter was really not a good setup. But otherwise 91-92 TPI used speed density and does not need a maf

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that.

Yeah, on that filter/inlet, my first thought was "EEEWW, pure hot air off the radiator; not good!".

Vettepilot