Pulling Engine on 1998 5.7 Vortec need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevy 5.7 Vortec k1500 truck a blown motor and I’m just wondering what the best way to go about and how to Disconnect the wireing and how I should go about it thanks
I use a small "pocket" screwdriver on most of the connectors. Take your time and take pictures if you've never done it before.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like Skylark says, take pictures. The main wiring harness may look intimidating running across the back of the engine, but you just disconnect the plugs on the injector harness and all the sensors, alternator, a/c, etc. and you can tie up the harness against the firewall out of the way. There are a few connections on the lower side of the engine - a crank sensor by the balancer, a knock sensor along with the starter wiring, and possibly a connector on the back side of the power steering pump. The injector harness has a little plastic clip that has to be removed from the connector that keeps it from coming loose. Unbolt the grounds from the back of the engine and the negative battery cable toward the front. I really can't think of any plug that will mate up with anywhere except its' proper place, so taking pictures of wire routing will make install pretty straightforward. I would suggest removing the distributor before pulling the engine as it is a plastic body and will break pretty easily.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use masking tape and a sharpie on stuff I'm not familiar with. A piece of tape on each side marked 1-1, 2- 2, etc. makes sorting it back out fairly easy. Mark where grounds go, Take pictures or even sketch out a simple diagram. I usually have yellow or green 3m tape around which makes finding loose unplugged stuff easy when the ends are tagged.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did an engine swap on a 96, which is the same as urs, and the wiring connectors will only go on one way, and to only one connector. So can’t put the wrong connector on the wrong sensor. As others stated, take ur time, take pics of stuff if have to, and take ur time!! Good luck