Protecting audio system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And that ladies and gentlemen is why I have an "adequate" but not fancy or expensive music system in the truck. My little Kenwood really isn't worth stealing and if it is, it doesn't cost a lot to replace. The truck is my 3rd vehicle and I'm not in it enough to justify a top of the line system.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And that ladies and gentlemen is why I have an "adequate" but not fancy or expensive music system in the truck. My little Kenwood really isn't worth stealing and if it is, it doesn't cost a lot to replace. The truck is my 3rd vehicle and I'm not in it enough to justify a top of the line system.

I am sooo tempted to buy one of those factory stereos on ebay that has been upgraded with the Bluetooth thingie stuff. It's a factory stereo that nobody will bother to steal.

Plus I like the controls on the factory radio that are all manual/tactile controls--that way I won't have a wreck attempting to operate the complicatedly complex touchscreen that wants to tell me what time it is in Bangkok or where the nearest sushi joint is in Vancouver, or direct me to Britney Spears latest hit.........

The downside is a backup camera on a "modern" stereo could come in handy.

Neozzick

Reaction score
I am sooo tempted to buy one of those factory stereos on ebay that has been upgraded with the Bluetooth thingie stuff. It's a factory stereo that nobody will bother to steal.

Plus I like the controls on the factory radio that are all manual/tactile controls--that way I won't have a wreck attempting to operate the complicatedly complex touchscreen that wants to tell me what time it is in Bangkok or where the nearest sushi joint is in Vancouver, or direct me to Britney Spears latest hit.........

I actually would have preferred going this route. Bluetooth literally is all I need, nothing else

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with most of the points mentioned in here. Sorry you have to deal with that BS, it sucks. One other thing I'll mention (and I know this isn't possible for everyone) is to try your best to find somewhere indoors to park it over night. I used to park both of my trucks outside all the time and they were constantly getting messed with. My Suburban has had the door handles popped just like yours twice, and a rock thrown through a rear window once.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

If those had been available when I installed the Kenwood I would have been tempted to go that way and yes the Bluetooth is super nice and hands free phone is a good safety item.

As far as the backup camera goes, you can now get a rear view mirror that also contains a backup screen . They are not very expensive on the 'bay. I want to go the factory compass mirror route (already have one to install) so in your place I would just put the backup screen on a mount on top of the dash or if you want to get really fancy, mount it in the sunglass drop down door in a 'burb roof console.

Since I already have the center mounted Kenwood I plan to use a small backup screen mounted on a piece of ABS fastened to the radio delete pocket in place of the factory radio. That is the plan assuming I get off my lazy a** and do it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I ever come across an HK USP Compact in .45 it's bought on the spot.

I have a full size tactical in .45 and it is one of the nicest pistols I've ever shot. I will never, ever get rid of that thing. I'd love to have a compact as well one of these days.