Problem with oil pressure gauge- 1995 350 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After cylinder heads job and new oil pressure sender the gauge started showing lower than before reading. After the first drive today it started dying and now “check gages” appears intermittently with the gage showing 0. Also check engine light appeared, it was 43 esc code. I disconnected the oil pressure harness and the needle showed the maximum reading. Put back the old sender and it’s the same. Any ideas?

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to dig out a mechanical oil pressure test gauge.

Did you do the work, or was it done by a buddy/shop? If they did it, take it back and have them check pressure. They're pretty cheap to buy. Or you can rent one (..usually for free) from a parts store like Autozone, OReilly's maybe Advance or NAPA. Make sure the oil is bled out of the test gauge hose for a more accurate reading. See what the oil pressure looks like on a mechanical pressure gauge. Let us know what the gauge indicates. There are lots of Y/T videos on how to do it. Maybe the H/G is on wrong or blocking oil??

Last edited:

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it looks something electrical to me. the engine would have be gone now with 0 oil pressure.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After cylinder heads job and new oil pressure sender the gauge started showing lower than before reading. After the first drive today it started dying and now “check gages” appears intermittently with the gage showing 0. Also check engine light appeared, it was 43 esc code. I disconnected the oil pressure harness and the needle showed the maximum reading. Put back the old sender and it’s the same. Any ideas?
Yep. I chased that for awhile.
I had 4 problems at the same time but only code 43.
In no particuler order,
1. when I pulled the starter I caught the knock sensor harness and wrecked that goofy plug that goes into it.
When I looked at it,
The center of the knock sensor was completely loose from the brass and the plug was broken.
2. The factory copper mesh ground strap that goes from the back of the passenger side head, to a stud on the firewall and then to the frame was rotted and crumbled .
I replaced them with cheap battery cables from walmart.
Bolting that cable to the back of the head is pretty much impossible unless you pull the distributor.
Especially since the people who had the warrenty on my spine went out of business long ago.
My 94 has a bracket on the back of the head.
I cleaned the paint off of it and thru bolted the cable.
Be carefull aboit that firewall stud. It is only 10mm and you dont want to pull the threads off.
3. A cheap and intermittantly failing fuel pump relay.
The part callout for these trucks is a 15 amp relay.
Echlin makes a 30 amp relay.
It isnt about needing a relay that can handle 30 amps.
It is because the contacts are made from solid copper instead of copper plated steel, and the relay is cast from "virgin" plastic instead of old soda pop bottles.
Less likely to arc fuse toghether and less likely to heat deform.
4. failed thread sealant where the oil sensor pipe threads in.
They didnt "clock" those fittings at the factory, they glued them in with thread sealant.
Not Loc-Tite that is not the same product.
Thread Sealant.
Mine was about a good 270 degrees out from pointing when it bottomed.
The sealant had failed and it puked oil.
A sure fire test for this is if ypu can thread the oil pressure sensor on to the fitting and then twist it to line up where you need it.
If it that fitting moves, that sealant s bad.
Never ever never try to fix that with teflon tape or gas tape.
You really dont want any of that in your bearings or in your oil pickup.
Mine was so far out of clock that I bought the thread die and carefully a little at a time recut the threads untill I was about 40 degrees out of clock and then pulled it, sealed it, and then tightened it down and aimed it where I needed it to be in order to get the pressure sensor back on using the sensor socket and drop head ratchet I had available to me.
You probably dont have to get that crazy
Mine was just way out of whack

If that fitting is loose, pull it, clean the threads, glue it back exactly where you need it to point at in order to get the sender and your tools back onto it and then leave it alone to cure for at least 24 hours.
That is how I got rid of the dreaded code 43.
And always keep in mind that if you get a check gauges light on an obd1 they will not restart from a "key on" position.
You always have to go back to "key off" before you try to start again.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did put a new fitting, it came with a sealant on it. do you say it has to be screwed in until it bottoms?
when i put back the old sender i did tighten the fitting further.
shall i apply loctite 592 on both of them?
what does it have to do with 43 code?

i thought maybe it was a loose ground. what are the wires that ground to the intake manifold studs? there are on both sides.

Last edited:

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update- engine is gone. It lost most of the oil in no time, probably through the oil pressure fitting. Only 1 liter remained in the sump. So I drained it completely and ran the engine. It took quite a while until it started knocking. I thought it would die immediately. I wonder why the pressure sender didn’t prevent the fuel pump from running.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Update- engine is gone. It lost most of the oil in no time, probably through the oil pressure fitting. Only 1 liter remained in the sump. So I drained it completely and ran the engine. It took quite a while until it started knocking. I thought it would die immediately. I wonder why the pressure sender didn’t prevent the fuel pump from running.

Wh-why did you do that? If the pump wasn't pulling air and you shut the engine down in time, it was still a good engine. No need to then blow it up by running it with zero oil.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wh-why did you do that? If the pump wasn't pulling air and you shut the engine down in time, it was still a good engine. No need to then blow it up by running it with zero oil.

I hope that was just a translation error and he meant to say he ran it with fresh oil for a while before it started knocking!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score

Is the place that you got the head work done a real shop with insurance for these kinds of mistakes or did some backyard mechanic 'help you out?'

That engine failure is 100% on whoever worked on your truck last. No excuses!