Power steering stop leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried that long time ago. Never worked on mine and I've been cursed with power steering leaks lol. I bit the bullet and replaced everything lol. I know some systems are more fragile then others when ever using stop leak. I'm really not sure if our system is sensitive. Whenever I used it I was leaking power steering bad. So had nothing to lose. Funny story. I actually would put a bucket under the truck when it was parked so I could reuse the fluid. Got tired of buying that fluid non stop lol

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used it once (Lucas product) and had a freaky experience with the wheels locking when I turned left. Could not straighten the wheels no matter what. Tried and tried and shut it off and it finally went back to working. Got home a few blocks away and called my mechanic and he said bring it over. Happened again leaving the house. Could have caused an accident.

My mechanic had to replace the rack and pinion, which was the one leaking, along with the P.S. pump and flush all that mess out. I would not recommend it.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X3, dont do it... just fix it right or you will be in for more $ and problems in the long run.

I'm gonna pull the box when I replace the pitman and replace the seal soon, while I replace the upper A arms,ball joints,tie rods,and lower bushings.The PS works fine and no screaming but I have not checked it in months.Going to get a quart of PS fluid right now.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No.. No.. No.. Dont do it
There is no miracle cure in a bottle.
Auto repair is the last stand of the snake oil industry.
Most of that stuff is either hydroscopic or anearobic clumping agents.
Yes, they may seal it for awhile, but they plug up all of the oil and water passeges and create a sludge that makes that part junk and will gunk the entire system.
Look at it this way, if you woke up tommorrow and you were leaking blood out of your eyeball, would you go to the doctor? or would you look on Amazon for the best rated "Bloody Eyeball Leak Sealer"
Fix the problem, more goop makes the problem so, so much worse

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put about 5 ounces in it to bring it up to full/hot tonight and noticed the fluid was pretty dirty w a bright flashlight.I guess I should hurry up and R&R the front suspension,pull the box and flush it as it's my DD.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are gonna replace the pump, mine as well put a 454SS steering box on it... better turn ratio. You will love it. Lots of threads on it - search it up! And, don't forget to check for cracks under the steering box on the frame - if you pull the box to upgrade. OBSs are famous for it.

Sorry, I am a habitual upgrader. if something breaks I go bigger and better. It's an addiction.

Last edited:

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are gonna replace the pump, mine as well put a 454SS steering box on it... better turn ratio. You will love it. Lots of threads on it - search it up! And, don't forget to check for cracks under the steering box on the frame - if you pull the box to upgrade. OBSs are famous for it.

Sorry, I am a habitual upgrader. if something breaks I go bigger and better. It's an addiction.

I checked the frame when I unbolted the box and tried replace the pitman months ago.