Steering box - pitman shaft leak -replace seal while in k1500 truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L337

Reaction score
98 k1500 silverado.
any one successfully replaced the pitman shaft seal that is on the bottom of steering gear box while the box was still installed on the truck?
I know i can pop the seal out while still installed but not sure about the room needed for tools(hammer/socket spacer/ratchet) to install the new one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting the Pitman arm off the gear box so you can access the seal will be "'pure joy".

There's a "low-profile" Pitman arm removal tool that I've looked at; and considered buying. And then I come to my senses and realize that I might as well remove the steering gear.

www.amazon.com/Tools-SL11880-Profile-Pitman-Popper/dp/B01IWCH05U/ref=sr_1_1?crid=6XSJYSRA3822

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reading the reviews, there's conflicting information on whether or not even this tool will work on K-series trucks.

Pull the steering gear.

L337

Reaction score
Getting the Pitman arm off the gear box so you can access the seal will be "'pure joy".

There's a "low-profile" Pitman arm removal tool that I've looked at; and considered buying. And then I come to my senses and realize that I might as well remove the steering gear.

www.amazon.com/Tools-SL11880-Profile-Pitman-Popper/dp/B01IWCH05U/ref=sr_1_1?crid=6XSJYSRA3822

Reading the reviews, there's conflicting information on whether or not even this tool will work on K-series trucks.

Pull the steering gear.
wow, the price of that tool is crazy. for that amount, i would pay someone to do the job.
thanks for the reply. I'll just need to plan my schedule out for this job.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Pull the steering gear.

I own said tool. Works very well on K trucks. Price wasn't a factor as I make my living with my wrenches and that tool has been a time saver to say the least...

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
However I do agree with the "pull the gear box off the frame" sentiment. Even if O.P. removes the pitman with the low profile tool, it's still tough to remove, clean, and properly reinstall the seal.
It's just much easier on the workbench with proper light, and not laying in a puddle of power steering fluid...

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any one successfully replaced the pitman shaft seal that is on the bottom of steering gear box while the box was still installed on the truck?
I replaced the seal just fine. Did it stop leaking? No. Bite the bullet and rebuild your box.

L337

Reaction score
I own said tool. Works very well on K trucks. Price wasn't a factor as I make my living with my wrenches and that tool has been a time saver to say the least...
Just curious, what jobs/vehicles do you use this tool on that requires u to use the tool and keep the gear box installed?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Changing a loose pitman arm when there is no need to remove the gearbox, of course. Loose due to snow plow use,
or a lifted beast with oversize tires,
or age,
or hundreds of thousands of miles.

But as I suggested in my previous post, if you're gonna change the seal, if just as easy to do all that on a workbench.