Power steering pump fails....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 K 1500, recently attempted to change the power steering pump and ended up doing it 3 times. With 3 different pumps and still no power steering checked the lines they seem to be okay and i bled the gearbox turned the wheels left and right etc. my only question is what is it what am I missing here? I put it back in without the back m mounting bolts it did not seem like it would affect it would that affect it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
When the truck is on and running does it make a lot of noise? Post a pic of the way it is installed.

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the truck is on and running does it make a lot of noise? Post a pic of the way it is installed.
The pump squealed a couple times at first but then stopped....also I should add which I didn't say when initially posting this that I had power steering for a few minutes when I first replaced this pump....then no power steering and sometimes it is easier to turn right or left but only for a couple seconds. And here is a pic of it installed I didn't reinstall any of the stuff to keep it in place on the back.
You must be registered for see images

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How you bleed them matters - just turning the wheels left/right is not correct. Check out the bleeding procedure straight from GM's manuals. Note steps 2-4 are repeated until level is correct, before you ever turn the steering wheel. Also note step 5 you raise the front end so when you do initially turn the wheel there is minimal load on the system because tires are not on the ground.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, where are you buying these pumps? If they're Autozone lifetime warranty type garbage, go somewhere else.

Richard

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How you bleed them matters - just turning the wheels left/right is not correct. Check out the bleeding procedure straight from GM's manuals. Note steps 2-4 are repeated until level is correct, before you ever turn the steering wheel. Also note step 5 you raise the front end so when you do initially turn the wheel there is minimal load on the system because tires are not on the ground.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, where are you buying these pumps? If they're Autozone lifetime warranty type garbage, go somewhere else.

Richard
I haven't read that particular set of instructions, thank you for that. I have done all the steps mentioned there but not necessarily in that order but I will this time around.....and the pump came from oreillys....well the last 3 have ...I wish I could just come across an oem pump but I'm on a budget at the moment.

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockauto has a ACDELCO reman one for $105 and you get $50 of that back when they get your core.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+v8,1303614,steering,power+steering+pump,7380

Is the EVO still hooked up? What was the original issue with the power steering?
Is this the evo? Because I saw in another thread on this forum somebody having similar issues and the EVO being mentioned....originally when I first got the truck a couple months ago the power steering would come and go occasionally and me, in all my wisdom figured "hey I can handle this" not 100% realizing how much of a pain it is with the refurb pumps ugh....

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score