Power steering problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdavis95Z71

Reaction score
Hey guys, so i installed a redhead steering box and a new pump but for some reason I have the power steering is not working at all, I put the lines on in the right spot and it’s full of fluid but I’m not getting any power steering what so ever. I’m sure it’s some stupid little mistake I made but I can’t seem to figure it out. The truck is on a 6 inch rough country kit and 35s so it’s a pain without power steering. Any ideas?
Thanks, Carson

You must be registered for see images attach

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, so i installed a redhead steering box and a new pump but for some reason I have the power steering is not working at all, I put the lines on in the right spot and it’s full of fluid but I’m not getting any power steering what so ever. I’m sure it’s some stupid little mistake I made but I can’t seem to figure it out. The truck is on a 6 inch rough country kit and 35s so it’s a pain without power steering. Any ideas?
Thanks, Carson

I know this is gonna sound really stupid, but you never mentioned plugging it in, is it plugged in?

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, Carson

BTW, you should put your make/model/year in your post, might make it easier for everyone to narrow down your issue.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you follow the instructions included with the red head box? Jack up the front end and turn it lock to lock 20-40 times, until you aren't getting and big bubbles, than let it sit overnight without starting.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a box off a 02 hd truck just because my factory one had half turn slack. Mine is a 96 on 35x12.5x17s with no lift.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check and see if you have fluid flow.

I would take the return line off the ps pump and plug the nipple off the reservoir (I used a piece of leftover hose with a bolt stuffed in it). Then place the return line coming out of the gear box and put it in a oil container of some sort. Have a assistant start the truck you should have ps fluid flowing like Niagara Falls. It will suck fluid very fast so don’t run it for very long. ( you could probably just turn the motor over too)

if you have fluid flow then you know your pump is good. I also installed the redhead steering gear box in my 96 chev. They seem very high quality and well gone through. Now that being said the box before this one was from napa and one day I was turning around when suddenly I lost power steering all together. After putting a new pump on it it didn’t fix it. Come to find out there is a valve or switch in the gear box that controls which way the fluid goes and it broke so I had fluid going through the return line but not where it needed to go to make the gear box work. After putting the redhead box in I haven’t had any more issues.

The only other thing I can think of would be if it has evo ps ( I think that’s what it’s called) I believe they put it on 97 up it’s some sort of metering deal that causes a lot of issues, enough issues that they made a bypass kit for it but I don’t know a lot about that system.

Reaction score
I would check and see if you have fluid flow.

I would take the return line off the ps pump and plug the nipple off the reservoir (I used a piece of leftover hose with a bolt stuffed in it). Then place the return line coming out of the gear box and put it in a oil container of some sort. Have a assistant start the truck you should have ps fluid flowing like Niagara Falls. It will suck fluid very fast so don’t run it for very long. ( you could probably just turn the motor over too)

if you have fluid flow then you know your pump is good. I also installed the redhead steering gear box in my 96 chev. They seem very high quality and well gone through. Now that being said the box before this one was from napa and one day I was turning around when suddenly I lost power steering all together. After putting a new pump on it it didn’t fix it. Come to find out there is a valve or switch in the gear box that controls which way the fluid goes and it broke so I had fluid going through the return line but not where it needed to go to make the gear box work. After putting the redhead box in I haven’t had any more issues.

The only other thing I can think of would be if it has evo ps ( I think that’s what it’s called) I believe they put it on 97 up it’s some sort of metering deal that causes a lot of issues, enough issues that they made a bypass kit for it but I don’t know a lot about that system.

I've bought a '98 gmc c1500 (5.7L) with a leak at the high pressure pump outlet and a kinked high pressure line. Before fixing, power steering still worked. I replaced the power steering pump, pulley, and both high and low pressure lines. I've refilled and went through the bleeding procedure and have no power steering assist nor bubbles forming in the reservoir. Removing the low pressure line from the pump inlet found that the pump moves fluid at a good high volume through the steering box. I've deduced that the problem is in the steering box as described. Any chance there's a diagram available to locate the valve/switch causing the issue?

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've bought a '98 gmc c1500 (5.7L) with a leak at the high pressure pump outlet and a kinked high pressure line. Before fixing, power steering still worked. I replaced the power steering pump, pulley, and both high and low pressure lines. I've refilled and went through the bleeding procedure and have no power steering assist nor bubbles forming in the reservoir. Removing the low pressure line from the pump inlet found that the pump moves fluid at a good high volume through the steering box. I've deduced that the problem is in the steering box as described. Any chance there's a diagram available to locate the valve/switch causing the issue?

I think what he's referring to is the GM EVO steering valve on the back of the pump. Electronic variable orifice. It just increased glow at low speeds, for parking lots and such and decreased flow at highway speeds.