Power Steering Overflows Only When Turning Right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While blocked passages from using the wrong fluid could be a concern down the road, the steering box, lines, and pump in question have zero miles on them. If any passages are blocked right now it would be considered a manufacturing defect.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it possible the lines are switched,or part of a port cap found its way inside the unit.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is is possible that the steering gear has a bigass air bubble in it? When turning the wheel, the piston moves one way, and pushes fluid into the reservoir. When turning the other way, the piston moves the other way, which gently sucks fluid from the reservoir?

And that eliminating that air bubble will take until the end of time, or until you SPIN THE PS PUMP so that there's normal fluid flow to push the air into the reservoir?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is is possible that the steering gear has a bigass air bubble in it? When turning the wheel, the piston moves one way, and pushes fluid into the reservoir. When turning the other way, the piston moves the other way, which gently sucks fluid from the reservoir?

And that eliminating that air bubble will take until the end of time, or until you SPIN THE PS PUMP so that there's normal fluid flow to push the air into the reservoir?

I'm with Schurkey. I've had pumps puke fluid turning the wheel back and forth with the engine off and wheels in the air before.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I’ve always used regular power steering fluid but the steering box I got from Redhead was definitely filled with some kind of red fluid because now all the fluid in my pump reservoir is pinkish.

Though none of this has anything to do with the original question...

I believe thier website states its atf, but I haven't checked it recently.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve confirmed the lines are hooked up correctly. I’m guessing there’s air trapped somewhere and the pump needs to spin to free it up. This is for a Cummins and the pump is driven off the cam so I’ll have to wait till the cooling system is plumbed to run it and sort this out further.

Thanks for all the help. I’ll follow up with the results after it runs.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI Dex III hasn't existed since GM removed all licensing ,and trademarks in 2006...