Power Steering Overflows Only When Turning Right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to look at a neglected K2500 with snow plow a couple years ago. Previous Owner warned me about a PS leak, and I'd have to drive the thing well over a hundred miles home if I bought it...so I stopped at an O'Reillys along the way and bought a GALLON JUG of PS fluid. Yeah, I did buy the truck, and dropped about half-a-gallon of PS fluid on the drive home.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...g-fluid-1-gallon/728053/6091184?q=72805&pos=0

ATF used to be a suitable fluid for PS systems. Now ATF is so specialized that it's not recommended as a PS fluid.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
ATF used to be a suitable fluid for PS systems. Now ATF is so specialized that it's not recommended as a PS fluid.

I wouldn't do it with one of the other ATF fluids, or a more modern steering system. Dex3 isn't that modern and our steering systems are ancient.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
The old original Dexron and a few of it's successors make pretty good hydraulic fluid. If you think about it, what is going on in a auto trans??? Oil is being supplied to pistons to squeeze the clutch packs. It lubricates gears and roller bearings as well a bushings. JUST like a power steering system. My skid steer loader uses Dexron in its drive system. IIRC there is 20 gallon of it in there! The Hydro-stat in my garden tractor recommends Ford Type 1 fluid or an approved hydraulic fluid like the big tractors use.

MY OPINION, Use some tranny fluid. It will be just fine in the PS system. You could probably go to Tractor Supply and buy some THF (trans hydraulic fluid) and put that in the PS system without concern.

Ken

EDIT: If all I had was Dexron and I needed 3 quarts of oil to get me 5 miles home, I'd dump it in the engine. Of course I'd change ASAP after I got home but the point is it will lubricate just fine.