Power steering broke or to weak for offroad tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Osteoblast

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using tires as seen in the pic the steering is like dead while trying to move the steering wheel while not driving. Once you drive steering seems to work.
Should the power steering handle mentioned tires or is the power steering pump toasted?
Fluid already new.
What's the most likely issue?
'96 Tahoe 2dr 4wd

Attachments

• 90A45B55-9013-4E25-8B89-8EAD1405C29E.jpeg
    90A45B55-9013-4E25-8B89-8EAD1405C29E.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 9

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it works normally while driving maybe try to bleed it. Jack up the front and cycle the steering lock to lock 10 times. Check for bubbles, check the fluid level, repeat until no bubbles.

If that checks out good then the pump may be on its way out. Any whining?

You won't be able to turn the tires while sitting still without a lot of force, no matter if it's a new pump or not.

Last time my pump went out (3rd time), there was no whining, no leaks, nothing, but I had absolutely zero power steering assist. When changing the pump I discovered the shaft the pulley is pressed onto had completely sheared off. Once I took the belt off I could just grab the pulley and slide it out and completely off since it was no longer connected.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The EVO system my be giving you problems. That valve on the back of the PS pump may not be functioning correctly. You can let the bypass pipe kit but last time I looked, they were about $80, and you have to pull the PS pump so you can do the swap.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
97 may have been the first year for EVO I didn't remember. Here is a diagram of the by pass pipe kit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-13-14-38-43.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-13-14-38-43.png
    544.1 KB · Views: 11

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run LT 275/70 16's and try not to make turns unless moving, reduce wear and tear, feel the pump working harder going into a u turn at idle rpm. U may need a higher output pressure for offroad offcamber high angle steer turns. When suburbans started becoming the soccermoms go to driver. The feedback about being hard to turn ( it's a truck..). They made some pump changes and my freinds 98 burb, wife could steer with one finger. A gm tech ****** said they just upped the minimum operating pressure. I never confirmed what he said. But the burb had a lighter steering resistance.

Osteoblast

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run LT 275/70 16's and try not to make turns unless moving, reduce wear and tear, feel the pump working harder going into a u turn at idle rpm. U may need a higher output pressure for offroad offcamber high angle steer turns. When suburbans started becoming the soccermoms go to driver. The feedback about being hard to turn ( it's a truck..). They made some pump changes and my freinds 98 burb, wife could steer with one finger. A gm tech ****** said they just upped the minimum operating pressure. I never confirmed what he said. But the burb had a lighter steering resistance.
So I could swap the PS pump to a 98 and eliminate the Evo as mentioned above?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can confirm that the Suburban my mom had for a few years steered alot lighter than the 95K2500. Then she traded it off for a Duramax. If it were me, I do alot research first. Attach the same, will i need to add a steer cooler, is it a whole pump reaquired or could I refurbish mine with upgraded internals. What does GM parts give for 98 Sub' versus a 95, 96, 97 pickup? Different OE part numbers for same item tells you some changed. One thing about GM alot of the same part covers alot of years.