power door lock issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Danny that is great info, but I don't really understand it bro, can you explain a bit how I can use that to fix my truck? I can handle the wiring but I don't understand the wiring schematics all that well.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Danny that is great info, but I don't really understand it bro, can you explain a bit how I can use that to fix my truck? I can handle the wiring but I don't understand the wiring schematics all that well.

That is how any basic negative out aftermarket security system/remote entry/remote starter would be wired. Some are different due to on board relays.

You would have to scrap all of your OEM wiring if you wanted to go that route, since your locks do not work. Get your door locks back to a working state and then worry about the keyless.

BTW, I have 20+ years in the mobile electronis business. This is an easy fix.

Did you check the continuity of the wires? I can bet you have a cut or a broken wire. Look behind the kick panels. If someone added an aftermarket keyless at some time in this truck's past, they would have had to add relays. If so they would have cut the original wires. That is the first place I would look. The OEM harness comes into the body from each door and they are usually tucked up higher in the kick panel. Pull them down out of there and inspect the wires.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
That is how any basic negative out aftermarket security system/remote entry/remote starter would be wired. Some are different due to on board relays.

You would have to scrap all of your OEM wiring if you wanted to go that route, since your locks do not work. Get your door locks back to a working state and then worry about the keyless.

BTW, I have 20+ years in the mobile electronis business. This is an easy fix.

Did you check the continuity of the wires? I can bet you have a cut or a broken wire. Look behind the kick panels. If someone added an aftermarket keyless at some time in this truck's past, they would have had to add relays. If so they would have cut the original wires. That is the first place I would look. The OEM harness comes into the body from each door and they are usually tucked up higher in the kick panel. Pull them down out of there and inspect the wires.

I think we're just dealing with a missing relay (for some odd reason).

-Truckin-

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think we're just dealing with a missing relay (for some odd reason).

-Truckin-

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the two doors used the switches to reverse the polarity, so there was no relay needed. I am not sure if they still did this in 1997, but I know for certain they did it up to 1994 (before the major dash/firewall/wiring change. A 4 door Tahoe/Suburban/Crew Cab would have a relay, but a Reg Cab/Ext Cab/2 door Tahoe would just use the switches.

BTW Ford used reversing polarity in almost every vehicle until the advent of OEM Keyless systems. I have seen many Fords with broken door lock wires and this exact issue.

Never rule out a broken wire in these modern vehicles.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gonna dig this up again, Been thinking it will be easier to completely replace the wiring harness for the power door locks than to try to troubleshoot the existing system. I do not plan to take anything out just put new wires in place and run them alongside. Would it be easier/better to try to pull the factory system from a pickup truck or purchase something like this http://www.amazon.com/Central-Conve...=1379510518&sr=1-2&keywords=2-door+power+lock what would you guys do in my case.