power door lock issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I need some help. I am confused as to whether or not my Tahoe (1997 2 door) has a power door lock relay. There is a relay (was I lost it) in the exact location it should be, but mine is a 5 wire/terminal instead of a 6 wire/terminal. I got a relay from a 1998 4d Tahoe at the PnP but it is 6 wire and will not fit. This is how the wiring is and colors.

You must be registered for see images attach

If someone can help me with a part number of the correct relay or tell me to stop looking there and the issue is somewhere else. Fuses are all good.

Every time I look up the relay on a website it comes up with the 6 wire relay and there is no other option.

p.s. Don't laugh at my mad paint skills lol

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the circuit breaker for it still there, it's supposed to be right above the pwr window circuit breaker?

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would this work? I bought this to add keyless entry, but I figured I had to get my door locks working first. If I wire this in place will it "bypass" the stock wiring and add power to the switches so they will work?

click the word "this" for a link to the product.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
updated original post with more accurate image of the pigtail.

Also got a reply from tech support on my idea about using the keyless entry to bypass the stock sh.it and that is a no go. It requires the factory relay to be in tact and working...

Here are some pics of the actual pigtail

Last edited:

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 doors would have a different relay than a 4 door.

IIRC 2 door trucks did the switching thru the switches (reverse polarity) and 4 door trucks did the switching thru a relay (positive pulse). At least that is how the older trucks were (1988-1994). Of course these older trucks did not have keyless entry either. I would look to see if you have a broken wire somewhere. Check continuity from the drivers switch to the pass switch on similar colored wires. I have seen more than one truck with a broken wire in the door jamb. If one wire is cut/broken, then the entire lock/unlock system will not function properly.

I think the relay is for the keyless only on a 2 door. The 4 door uses the relay for locking/unlocking as well as keyless entry.

The aftermarket keyless will work is if you either fix the OEM lock system, or eliminate all of the OEM wiring and run your own relays and wire directly to the actuators in the door (which will eliminate the OEM switches). This is more work than it is worth. I would correct the OEM issue first.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
This info is for taping for keyless entry on an alarm:

Door Trigger
Purple (-) 4 Pin Black Connector Driver's Kick Panel

Door Lock
Light Blue
Driver's Kick Panel w/Keyless Positive

Door Unlock
White W/o Keyless Entry Reverse Polarity (5 Wire)

I'll see what else I can come up with

-Truckin-

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
More info on reverse-polarity

#1 is the relay

-Truckin-