Possible to make wiper arms sit lower on windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 98. I took the cowl off and lowered them as far as they would go. then i put the cowl back on and trimmed it back with a die grinder so the wipers did'n smack it every time they cycled. I hate the "windshield wiper half up" look

jtlichty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I changed to the older style wiper arms and they sit a little lower like previously stated. Its not much of a difference but it helps a bit. Just pick some up at a junkyard and paint them.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you hate wipers just remove them and Rain-X the crap out of your windshield on a regular basis. I drove a '61 Chevy for nearly a year with no wipers because the motor was burnt out and I was having a tough time finding the correct replacement. It rains quite a bit here. Rain-X is practically magic. :D

Richard

This is my preferred remedy. :)

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Don't work so swell offroad. It won't repel bowling ball sized chunks of mud lol.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I dont like the look either.. put lots of thought to it... best thing for clean look.. is remove them I guess. Lol

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I went from the 98 arms to arms of my 89 (yeah, weird how the numbers are exactly reversed on the years)

The 89's have a "bend that makes them sit lower and level. I didn't like the 98's sitting higher and kind of askew from level.

Plus, my 98's arms were seized to the pivots and had to be drilled off. I have the 89's lying on the shelf so it was a no brainer cost wise.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Before:

You must be registered for see images attach

After:

You must be registered for see images attach

Small difference, but worth the extra 20 seconds for me.

Unfortunately, I'm probably going back tot he later style to fit some wiper shakers to them. The later style are hook attachment and sit higher off the glass.

More important to actual driving that I get the shakers installed...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I live in a coastal rainforest. It rains here! 200 #@$%$#@ days a year! Good thing I'm half frog! (French)
No rain? No wipers! Less than a minute & they're off and behind the seat. Much nicer to drive without 'em!
The later style wipers sit higher due to GM's redesign of the arm with a stronger spring. The redesigned arms are supposed to stay against the windshield better at speed.
There is a thread here somewhere on how someone shortened the arms in order to use much longer blades. Looked to be fairly simple. (I use 19" ones on the stock later style arms. Stock is 18".) Don't know if that makes them sit lower or not. I can see how it would, in theory, but I can't remember what the finished mod looked like. IIRC that thread could be a couple of years old.

smashdn

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread and not really about the question I am about to ask but this seemed like the closest thread I could find with the amount of searching I did.

My passenger side wiper has slop in it where the piece that is splined and attached with the three bolts to the sheet metal will wobble. This causes a skip in the actual swathe that the wiper can hit on the windshield. I had the cowl and everything opened up yesterday along with the three bolts (which I retightened) but could not figure out how to get the slop out of it. I also looked where the rods attach under the cowl to try and see if it needed tightening but all of that was tight. I hit it all with some wd40 and buttoned it back up but would dearly love to know how to adjust or fix it so that wobble will be fixed and the whole windshield can get wiped cleanly.

TIA