Posi 5 lug rear axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will be a long time before I do this, but I'm wanting a 5 lug posi rear end. Is it possible to get one out of a z71 and swap some parts to make the z71 5 lug instead of 6?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
The g80 are *not* the most reliable when abused. Why not look into a aftermarket posi and install

* sorry autocorrect

Adam

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's what he meant, and it's also worth mentioning (because the use of the wrong terminology never seems to die) the Eaton Gov-Loc is not a posi unit.

Richard

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would be a good aftermarket posi solution. I'd also like 7.73 gears. I want my truck to drive like a corvette while maintaining the appearance of an almost stock full size truck.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
7.73's? Top end of about 40mph! But damn! Sure quick getting there! Mileage? What mileage? Lol!
Kidding! You meant 3.73's didn't you? Those'll wake up your truck, but they will hurt your mileage, especially when those gears raise the fun factor. So much more fun to hammer down with those.
No matter what you do to these trucks, though, they ARE a truck. It would take a fair lotta mods to be able to out accelerate a Vette in a straight line. It's not impossible though. But with a live axle on leafs, being about as aerodynamic as a brick & the taller center of gravity, keeping up with one doing the cornering thing is a stretch. Big stretch!
There is a solution though! Just how deep are your pockets? Lol!

You must be registered for see images

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Corvette independent rear suspension. That's my goal in the future. Along with every other component I get from a vette to up the performance. Right now, my pockets are as deep as a puddle in a desert. I'm still in high school working a minimum wage job, but my auto tech program has me set up to work for Aggreko, a industrial portable utilities company right after I graduate. So that's when I plan on doing major mods.