Pitman arm replacement...8 hours and I can't get it off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TTZ06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced mine in a few hours. I had to remove the gearbox from the frame then take the arm off.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know that you mentioned some type of puller but I wanted to make sure that you knew that there is a puller designed specifically for this purpose. It's called a "pitman arm puller" Who would have guessed right? I bought mine at Harbor Freight as I figured that I wouldn't be using it very often. Those pitman arms are very very tight. I think I had to use the impact wrench on the puller to get it off. I couldn't do it with just a long handled ratchet.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my frontend I thought I was going to need a pitman arm puller so I bought one as well from harbor frieght ended up not using it I was able to slide it off by hand. I guess i just got lucky.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central VA, DC Metro, NOVA (can they make up their
Thanks all for chiming in. Sorry, I am usually a bit more detailed in my posts but I think that time got to me. It is a pitman puller that I have been using and it just wouldn't fit. I went over to Advanced Auto Parts this morning (had been getting my stuff at Autozone). Harbor Freight in my area didn't have one.

Bottom line - I have some GREAT NEWS!! I bought a tie rod end pickle fork (slightly smaller than the ball joint pickle fork I had been using and bent) I also bought a much lighter ball peen hammers (not sure if I got that right since I have never owned one) instead of the 5 pound engineering hammer I have been using.

I hit it into the side that goes into the steering link and after about 10 moderate blows it popped right out. (Mind you I had been doing this for 8 hours with the engineering hammer and ball joint pickle fork.

Next up was the Pittman arm. I tried to fit the Pitman arm puller in there and once again it wouldn't fit. I found an annoying piece of plastic or rubber in there and yanked it out so I could see. It turns out that the rubber was interfering with getting the arm in there. (Not sure if that part was needed but whatever since these parts apparently go bad all the time).

I used the puller and heard a violent crack. The Pittman arm didn't come lose but the 3/4 socket wrench I was using did. I was dismayed figuring the clamp gave out. The arm was still in the same place. I decided to give the bottom of the arm a slight tap to see where I was at and noticed I could tap it upwards. Then I said what the heck let me try to tap it downwards. The arm flew right off! Thanks everyone for your thoughts, good luck, tips, morale boosters, and patience with me. Hopefully someone finds this thread one day and it helps them.

Only down side is that I snapped one of the other pullers that I rented. Not my fault their stuff is cheap!

YESSSS!!!!!!

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks all for chiming in. Sorry, I am usually a bit more detailed in my posts but I think that time got to me. It is a pitman puller that I have been using and it just wouldn't fit. I went over to Advanced Auto Parts this morning (had been getting my stuff at Autozone). Harbor Freight in my area didn't have one.

Bottom line - I have some GREAT NEWS!! I bought a tie rod end pickle fork (slightly smaller than the ball joint pickle fork I had been using and bent) I also bought a much lighter ball peen hammers (not sure if I got that right since I have never owned one) instead of the 5 pound engineering hammer I have been using.

I hit it into the side that goes into the steering link and after about 10 moderate blows it popped right out. (Mind you I had been doing this for 8 hours with the engineering hammer and ball joint pickle fork.

Next up was the Pittman arm. I tried to fit the Pitman arm puller in there and once again it wouldn't fit. I found an annoying piece of plastic or rubber in there and yanked it out so I could see. It turns out that the rubber was interfering with getting the arm in there. (Not sure if that part was needed but whatever since these parts apparently go bad all the time).

I used the puller and heard a violent crack. The Pittman arm didn't come lose but the 3/4 socket wrench I was using did. I was dismayed figuring the clamp gave out. The arm was still in the same place. I decided to give the bottom of the arm a slight tap to see where I was at and noticed I could tap it upwards. Then I said what the heck let me try to tap it downwards. The arm flew right off! Thanks everyone for your thoughts, good luck, tips, morale boosters, and patience with me. Hopefully someone finds this thread one day and it helps them.

Only down side is that I snapped one of the other pullers that I rented. Not my fault their stuff is cheap!

YESSSS!!!!!!

Glad that you finally got it. It just goes to show how important the proper tool is. This is one of those tasks that would be impossible most of the time if you didn't have some form of pickle fork or pitman arm puller. Unless you get lucky and it comes off by hand lol

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central VA, DC Metro, NOVA (can they make up their
Glad that you finally got it. It just goes to show how important the proper tool is. This is one of those tasks that would be impossible most of the time if you didn't have some form of pickle fork or pitman arm puller. Unless you get lucky and it comes off by hand lol

It certainly does, the tie rod pickle fork did the trick while the ball joint puller worked right away. Sometimes I think you need a fresh set of tools too. If you have been beating on the old set for hours that can mess you up!

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Smallest of projects = longest time frame :(

JoeyD

Reaction score
I unbolt the box and let it hang a little and use a snap on puller.
You must be registered for see images attach