Performance TBI Motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy, I have a 1995 K1500 350tbi with an NV4500 and I plan on building a new motor to put in it that will work with my TBI system. I plan on some decent heads, cross plane intake, and maybe like a 276 cam or around that size. I'm looking for recommendations on parts, but I'm mainly looking for someone that can tune the ECU or to buy a separate tuned ECU so if I want to go back to the factory motor I just have to swap them out. Thanks a lot

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a comp roller efi cam, tbi block with roller provisions EQ heads (vortec chamber but uses the tbi intake manifold) (had the guides cut down a little for spring clearance) modified the tbi slightly, and of course higher flowing fuel pump.
On the factory ecm and tune it pulled 300hp and 385ft lbs. Runs like a champ, probably could benefit from tuning but That’s on the someday list

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get away with a a step or two more cam if you run Rhoads V-Max lifters and properly adjust them to 0.020" off the bottom of the travel with a hot engine and 0.020" feeler gauge. They will add 3-4 in/hg vacuum at idle and help keep the TBI ECM from overfueling at idle.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How'd you throw in a granny gear HD tranny into the "performance category" of a half ton truck build? Its a great tranny if you're towing said 300bhp racetruck, not so much for power shifting.
You sure you don't have the NV3500?

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How'd you throw in a granny gear HD tranny into the "performance category" of a half ton truck build? Its a great tranny if you're towing said 300bhp racetruck, not so much for power shifting.
You sure you don't have the NV3500?
I have the NV4500 it's a cast iron case where the 3500 is aluminum the Trans came factory in a few half tons, but mines the only one I've ever seen. I'm sure a few people around here have one. Everyone around me just has a 4l60e mines the only factory 350 5 speed truck I know of in a 50 mile radius

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a comp roller efi cam, tbi block with roller provisions EQ heads (vortec chamber but uses the tbi intake manifold) (had the guides cut down a little for spring clearance) modified the tbi slightly, and of course higher flowing fuel pump.
On the factory ecm and tune it pulled 300hp and 385ft lbs. Runs like a champ, probably could benefit from tuning but That’s on the someday list

You must be registered for see images attach
That's about the power range I'd like to be at maybe closer to 325hp, and you're running all that on the factory computer with no issues correct?

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's about the power range I'd like to be at maybe closer to 325hp, and you're running all that on the factory computer with no issues correct?

correct. However it’s at the limit of what stock can handle without getting angry.