PCV hose replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpoL98

Reaction score
as the basis for the separator body, I used the old-school oil filler extend tube (Mr. Gasket, Transdapt). I got some perforated SS sheet, and SS steel wool. I grinded out the brazing used to attach the end caps, and using the perforated SS sheet, made circular discs (with small end tabs), bent the end tabs at 90*. I made 2 layers of SS wool, contained by the perforated SS disc, with an air gap between them. Starting from the center, insert a perforated disc about 1/2" from the center of the length, MIG spot weld the tab in the tube to hold it in place. do that from each end. now pack in the SS wool, and then another perforated disc. spot weld again. this gives you 2 layers of SS wool to capture the liquid in suspension in the vapor. if you have extra space still available, insert additional perforated discs just to capture oil vapor droplets still in suspension, spot welded in place. MIG weld the end caps back on. spray paint with high-temp engine enamel. try to make it look pretty.

I topped it off with a Ford-type twist-on breather cap that's fitted with a hole for a PCV valve, so it doesn't have holes on the underside. The manufacturing crimp used to hold the top half of this breather cap to its' base is shoddy, so I sealed the crimp with JB Weld. Stant 10071, Gates 31072.

I'll try to take some pics later.

https://www.holley.com/products/accessories/valve_covers/valve_cover_breather/parts/2053

https://www.hedman.com/product-detail/9256

in the process of fabricating a couple more valve cover oil separators, pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

I'll tack-weld the "ears" to hold the baffle in place inside the tube, trying for 4 baffles in the tube:
You must be registered for see images attach

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, that's fine. There's practically a cult following for the mod though and all it's really good for is emptying pockets, and making people feel better. It's not making your engine feel better. :)

Richard
I've got a 300 SRT8 and it's my 3rd modern hemi...haven't run a catch can on any of them. I'm aware it's a popular mod as a bunch of the guys on the LX forum are all over them, but that still doesn't mean it's a beneficial mod. :)

Richard
Pp

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

rpoL98

Reaction score
my valve-cover-top oil separator made a big difference on my 350 SBC. I have a catch can in-series with my PCV valve, used to have to drain that every month or so. after installing my breather baffle separator on top of my valve cover, i check it only when I change my oil, and it's less than a teaspoon of oil. so for me, it's good. I don't have any new cars, my newest vehicle is my '97 K3500, which is running on 20yrs+.

If you look at the newer cars, OEM baffling integral to the valve covers has improved immensely in the last 10 yrs. just trying to retrofit some of that technology improvement into my old relic daily drivers.

works for me, doesn't work for you, 'Merica FTW! Happy New Year!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you look at the newer cars, OEM baffling integral to the valve covers has improved immensely in the last 10 yrs. just trying to retrofit some of that technology improvement into my old relic daily drivers.

works for me, doesn't work for you, 'Merica FTW! Happy New Year!
Not sure why that dude chose to quote two of my posts without saying anything else, but I'm certainly not maligning your work in building those oil separators. I just don't believe in using catch cans; that oil isn't hurting the engine. At any rate, it was that other dude that wrote a few books ranting and raving at you about the subject, not me, so please don't mistake us for one another.. I'm the one with the actual sense of humor, as evidenced by previous replies:

(buys a round of Slick50 for everybody in the thread)

Have a good one :D

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I bought some Slick 50 once in my late teens early 20's.... my engine burned it as easily as motor oil :)

rpoL98

Reaction score
Not sure why that dude chose to quote two of my posts without saying anything else, but I'm certainly not maligning your work in building those oil separators. I just don't believe in using catch cans; that oil isn't hurting the engine. At any rate, it was that other dude that wrote a few books ranting and raving at you about the subject, not me, so please don't mistake us for one another.. I'm the one with the actual sense of humor, as evidenced by previous replies:

Have a good one :D

Richard

Richard:
so noted. best wishes in 2020!