Evap solenoid replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I need to replace the Evap solenoid on my 454 intake manifold. I've purchased a new SMP CP411 through Amazon. I was pleased to find it labeled "Made in the USA" as Amazon's COO listings are often not correct. Here's it is on Amazon. www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7XRIS

I was surprised to find that the solenoid changes part numbers on the late trucks, according to Rockauto. I had assumed all Vortec V8s used the same one.

Today after unburying the hood I took a look at the original solenoid on the truck. I'm not sure how the vacuum line comes off. The fittings look to have some sort of light colored plastic lock ring. I tried to pry on one of them with my fingernail and it simply chipped part of it off. I guess that's not terribly unexpected since they're old, and the temperature was single digits (F).

I was going to take a picture, but I've been having battery issues, and I didn't have my phone with me.

Anyone know the connectors, and how to disconnected them properly? I'm hoping to re-use the line.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is the 5.7 Vortec part.

Standard Motor Products CP225​

Made in China :mad:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the Evap solenoid on my 454 intake manifold. I've purchased a new SMP CP411 through Amazon. I was pleased to find it labeled "Made in the USA" as Amazon's COO listings are often not correct. Here's it is on Amazon. www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7XRIS

I was surprised to find that the solenoid changes part numbers on the late trucks, according to Rockauto. I had assumed all Vortec V8s used the same one.

Today after unburying the hood I took a look at the original solenoid on the truck. I'm not sure how the vacuum line comes off. The fittings look to have some sort of light colored plastic lock ring. I tried to pry on one of them with my fingernail and it simply chipped part of it off. I guess that's not terribly unexpected since they're old, and the temperature was single digits (F).

I was going to take a picture, but I've been having battery issues, and I didn't have my phone with me.

Anyone know the connectors, and how to disconnected them properly? I'm hoping to re-use the line.
How did you determine it was the valve and not the switch?
You must be registered for see images attach

These are obviously for a 5.7

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Skip to the 30-second mark in the video. It’s for an LS, but I think that’s how they came off of my 350. Maybe it’ll be the same for a 454.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How did you determine it was the valve and not the switch?
You must be registered for see images attach

These are obviously for a 5.7

I don't have that. My solenoid goes directly to the evap canister, which only has a vent, not a second solenoid. I think its because my higher GVW, puts it into a different emissions class.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Skip to the 30-second mark in the video. It’s for an LS, but I think that’s how they came off of my 350. Maybe it’ll be the same for a 454.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah, that looks like it. Thank you. Hopefully I didn't break that little piece beyond use.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was able to get the evap hose off today. It did take some fiddling, and I figure that was probably a combination of me never working with these connectors before, and the cold/no-gloves. It's warmer today, but still bitterly cold to be outside working with your hands.

Of course the part is no longer available. 12554674

I can re-use this one, but I would have liked to have replaced it due to me breaking that little piece off the lock the other day. I suppose I could also replace the line with bulk flex line.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was a year thing, I think 96-97 had the double solenoids and the old school charcoal canister and either 98 or 99 went to the new style.

Im going to be changing mine in the cold as well on my 97, as it seems to work at idle but will develop horrendous vacuum at road speed. actually imploded the tank on the previous owner.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It was a year thing, I think 96-97 had the double solenoids and the old school charcoal canister and either 98 or 99 went to the new style.

Im going to be changing mine in the cold as well on my 97, as it seems to work at idle but will develop horrendous vacuum at road speed. actually imploded the tank on the previous owner.

Yes, I've got the new square one, but I also don't have the secondary solenoid, as I said earlier. Rockauto has them available, but my truck never had it. I just have a plastic cover over the port.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was thinking that I'd replace the line with some sort of bulk hose like a braided cloth hose or silicone, but I think I've decided against that idea. I'm just going to reuse the oem line. Too much trouble and money for something that's not going to get me anything.

Hopefully I'll get the solenoid installed this coming week. It's supposed to be above freezing.