Vortec EVAP question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here! I was wondering if, on the vortec engines, could you delete the evap electronics and purge valve (for the sake of simplifying the engine), and then have a hose going from the charcoal canister DIRECTLY to the hole in the intake manifold? That way the fumes can still vent into the engine and you won’t smell gas, but it’s simpler and one less electronic part that can cause problems.
IIRC, the TBI trucks already have a system kinda like this, without a purge valve and there is just a line going straight from canister to intake. Correct me if wrong though.
But would this work on a vortec?

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the TBI trucks already have a system kinda like this, without a purge valve and there is just a line going straight from canister to intake. Correct me if wrong though.
Yes, TBI has the CCP line going directly to the TB but, it's plumbed above the Throttle Blades so you don't have a vacuum leak at idle.

You must be registered for see images attach

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you try to mess with it in the state your sig says you are from, the emissions test might fail. (More than likely...)
The testing equipment is specific for each vehicle based upon the year/type of computer and the added emissions systems for each individual year/make/model/ECM. Usually testing must be performed when you have a hot engine, at idle and then under load.

Your computer will try to adjust the base fuel map and timing using the sequence of the EVAP/Purge system being functional.
Each setting changes, as the sensors react to engine temp, coolant temp, fuel pressure and the cat/O2 sensors warming up.

If you alter any of it, something down stream will not operate at the intended computer programming and timing sequence.

If you screw up the map, and confuse the computer, you could go into open loop or run off the backup base settings for limp mode.
This mode will get you home in a bind, however you will not pass emissions in this mode.
Your fuel efficiency will suffer and idle will be off as well.

GoToGuy said it more simple than me...

I would go further and say: If it is broke, do your best to analyze every perimeter and point of failure and fix all of it...
Rotten hoses and bad connectors need to be replaced.
EGR needs to be removed and cleaned thoroughly every year.

If your TBI does not look as clean and shiny as PlayingWithTBI's picture, you might want to invest in a quality rebuilt unit with clean matched injectors. Start by rebuilding your distributor to OEM factory specs, before you try and fix anything else.

Clean the heck out of the EGR, replace all your vacuum lines and do NOT rip anything out or you'll fail inspection and ruin your ability to properly diagnose poor idle. Make certain your CAT is not clogged... do not alter it if it is... replace it.

Until you relocate to a state, without emissions testing regulations, you cannot legally alter the OEM system.

:welcome:

Last edited:

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I understand what you’re saying about it confusing the computer because it relies on the evap working. Theoretically, if I had the evap function tuned out of the pcm, would it work? Similar to an EGR delete, where it needs to be tuned out to properly work, and would be a bad idea if untuned.

And I plan on moving to a state without emissions in the future, so that isn’t the biggest concern to me. I just want to know if this is possible.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until you relocate to a state, without emissions testing regulations, you cannot legally alter the OEM system.
Emissions is FEDERAL law when it isn't made more-strict by STATE law.

Even if he does move, it's still illegal to tamper with emissions devices. The question is whether he'll get caught.

I just want to know if this is possible.
Anything is possible. What you want isn't practical, or recommended, or necessary, or good.

This sort of attitude is really common in folks who don't understand the emissions systems, and how so much of it does not interfere with engine operation. They don't comprehend how it all works, and so it's just "clutter" that needs to be removed so there's less visual mess under the hood.