Evap Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 2 door Tahoe 5.7. I have seen pics with this solenoid and without. I did not take it off, but it was laying in the floorboard. I don't seem to have a pigtail for it either. The hard line is hooked up to the solenoid with the blue & red connector. Is this needed?

You must be registered for see images attach

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the evap canister purge solenoid. It's job is to collect fuel vapors that evaporate, store them in the charcoal canistor, and to pulse open to slowly vent vapors. I don't think there is any gain to having it inoperative.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The unattached one in your photo is an older style (96 or 97 and under maybe). The 98 models used the one that is connected on your truck with the blue connector.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The unattached one in your photo is an older style (96 or 97 and under maybe). The 98 models used the one that is connected on your truck with the blue connector.
Thanks, I was scrounging through the junkyard this weekend and I was seeing both types. And I thought one had both, must not have.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to ask - what type of connector is that on the heater hose at the intake?

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes you need it unless you deleted your emissions, if you didn't tune it out you'll have a vacuum leak and the truck will run rich and throw a code