PCV hose replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Back on topic...

SAE J30R7 is fuel vapor purge and PCV rated hose. It used to be used as liquid fuel line but SAE J30R9 superseded it in the mid 1980's.

The SAE specs can be found on the SAE web page. The SAE numbers will be emblazoned on the outer jacket of any SAE rated hoses. There are several different SAE hose applications on automobiles. For instance... SAE J1019 is transmission oil cooler hose that's rated for hot transmission fluid even tho the parts counter guy may try to sell you SAE J30R9 fuel hose for that application.

Thanks that helps a lot. I can get the Gates 27004 locally, from Oreilly, for $1.69 per foot. It's SAE J30R7. I got the part number from Rockauto, but didn't find it on Oreilly's site until I actually searched for the particular number directly.

As an aside, anybody else get constant errors on Oreilly's site? I'm always getting permission errors, or "server 500" errors. I have to delete cookies to get rid of them.

rpoL98

Reaction score
I have a Moroso catch can on my 350 SBC, yes it fills up pretty quickly. So i added an oil separator device directly on top of the valve cover where the PCV used to sit, it separates out a lot of the oil vapor, precipitates it out into the stainless steel wool chamber, and drains back down into the valve cover. now my catch can doesn't fill up at all. I used to have to drain it every week or so, now I just check it every 6 months or so, just a few drops.

This helps keep the interior of the intake manifold from getting all gummed up. works great for me.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Catch can is a useless mod, sorry folks.. spend that money on something else. That oil vapor isn't hurting anything.

Richard

The newer HEMI's are known to dump a LOT of oil vapor back into the intake. It's a popular mod on the RAM forums.

I had a 2015 and I installed a catch can from almost day 1 and I had to empty it 3 times or more between each oil change.

I have no dreams of any kind of performance gain from it. I just liked the idea of keeping my intake as clean as I could.

The pic represents maybe 1500 miles and the bottle is where I had been dumping the previous "drains" between oil changes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My PCV line is getting a little worse for wear. It's original so it's plastic with rubber ends. Those ends are cracking on the surface. Technically it's a vacuum line, but I'm thinking that since it has oil vapors running through it, something like oil cooler line might be more appropriate. Thoughts?

The 5.7's had an assembly that I bought, from Delco, with the valve, hose and elbow built in. I don't know if anything like that exists for the 454?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The 5.7's had an assembly that I bought, from Delco, with the valve, hose and elbow built in. I don't know if anything like that exists for the 454?

Unfortunately, the hose for the 454 is discontinued. I was thinking of simply replacing the rubber portion of my original hose, but I accidentally cut right though the plastic when trying to remove the rubber. I still may do it... just use a little bit longer rubber piece. I don't like the way the new hose fits. It has multiple bends and the hose tends to flatten a bit, and also it pushes the valve at and angle. I need to replace the grommet to, I think. It's fine for now, I think. I'll leave it until I do my valve cover gaskets.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have no dreams of any kind of performance gain from it. I just liked the idea of keeping my intake as clean as I could.

Apparently where it does produce a performance gain is on intercooled turbo vehicles. The oil ends up coating the insides of the intercooler making it less effective.

There are also multiple ways to connect a catch can. Ideally, you drain the oil right back into the crank case. Also some people use them basically as a fancy vent. I would use it in conjunction with the PCV, and use it as another step remove the oil from the pressurized air/exhaust coming from the crank case.

rpoL98

Reaction score
What did you use for an oil separator device? How did you connect it to the PCV? Any pics?

I do that exact think on the breather side with a small aluminum fuel filter that had a removable filter element. I replaced it with steel wool and put it vertically above the valve cover inline to the air filter collar it's attached to so any backflow oil gets trapped and drips back into valve cover. Apparently in some situations (WOT?) the breather side gets pressurized also and I see that oil has come into the throttle body through the breather tube (well not anymore).

as the basis for the separator body, I used the old-school oil filler extend tube (Mr. Gasket, Transdapt). I got some perforated SS sheet, and SS steel wool. I grinded out the brazing used to attach the end caps, and using the perforated SS sheet, made circular discs (with small end tabs), bent the end tabs at 90*. I made 2 layers of SS wool, contained by the perforated SS disc, with an air gap between them. Starting from the center, insert a perforated disc about 1/2" from the center of the length, MIG spot weld the tab in the tube to hold it in place. do that from each end. now pack in the SS wool, and then another perforated disc. spot weld again. this gives you 2 layers of SS wool to capture the liquid in suspension in the vapor. if you have extra space still available, insert additional perforated discs just to capture oil vapor droplets still in suspension, spot welded in place. MIG weld the end caps back on. spray paint with high-temp engine enamel. try to make it look pretty.

I topped it off with a Ford-type twist-on breather cap that's fitted with a hole for a PCV valve, so it doesn't have holes on the underside. The manufacturing crimp used to hold the top half of this breather cap to its' base is shoddy, so I sealed the crimp with JB Weld. Stant 10071, Gates 31072.

I'll try to take some pics later.

https://www.holley.com/products/accessories/valve_covers/valve_cover_breather/parts/2053

https://www.hedman.com/product-detail/9256

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The newer HEMI's are known to dump a LOT of oil vapor back into the intake. It's a popular mod on the RAM forums.
I've got a 300 SRT8 and it's my 3rd modern hemi...haven't run a catch can on any of them. I'm aware it's a popular mod as a bunch of the guys on the LX forum are all over them, but that still doesn't mean it's a beneficial mod. :)

Richard

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 300 SRT8 and it's my 3rd modern hemi...haven't run a catch can on any of them. I'm aware it's a popular mod as a bunch of the guys on the LX forum are all over them, but that still doesn't mean it's a beneficial mod. :)

Richard

It's beneficial for the consumer who bought it for a certain purpose. Just the same as a set of all-weather floor mats is beneficial to those who want to keep more dirt/mud/grime out of the carpet.

A particular muffler may not give a performance gain over a stock one (may even give a loss), but it is beneficial to the consumer who just wanted to change the tone of his exhaust.

If a mod servers your desired purpose, it was worth it IMO.

We can agree to disagree here: :cheers:

What was the topic of this thread again? Feel like we got off track! :Big Laugh: