Passenger Air Bag Switch Converted to Kill Switch? Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have an idea and my previous searching didn't come up with much. Has anyone used the passenger air bag on/off switch for a engine kill switch? I want to install a kill in my truck but looking for very hidden ideas to make this possible. I thought about this becasue I'm not sure I have ever stuck a key in and turned the passenger air bag off. Plus its something that would defiantly be over looked if someone went to go steal my truck.

Please let me know if this is possible or could be done. Do I have to just unplug that switch entirely from the airbag system and solely wire it as a kill? Or buy another air bag switch and re route the harness to somewhere under the dash so that air bag circuit is still active then pop in the air bag kill dummy in the original location?

Thanks!

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Hello from the cargo lamp thread, lol...

Unfortunately, I don't think this will work for a kill. The srs switch isn't simply an on/off - it's a solid state device with individual on/off signals that it feeds the SRS module, if that makes sense. If you remove the switch from the circuit, it will likely disable your entire SRS system. However, you might try experimenting with another switch from a junk yard if you have a way to bench test input and output voltages. I could see if possibly working if the voltage is enough and you used that in conjunction with a relay to control the starter/PCM/whatever circuit you chose for the kill toggle. Sounds like a cool idea, but definitely do not touch your switch that is in place, that's the main thing. See diagram below for your reference.

You must be registered for see images attach

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello from the cargo lamp thread, lol...

Unfortunately, I don't think this will work for a kill. The srs switch isn't simply an on/off - it's a solid state device with individual on/off signals that it feeds the SRS module, if that makes sense. If you remove the switch from the circuit, it will likely disable your entire SRS system. However, you might try experimenting with another switch from a junk yard if you have a way to bench test input and output voltages. I could see if possibly working if the voltage is enough and you used that in conjunction with a relay to control the starter/PCM/whatever circuit you chose for the kill toggle. Sounds like a cool idea, but definitely do not touch your switch that is in place, that's the main thing. See diagram below for your reference.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hi and thanks for the help again haha!

But I see, I wasn't thinking that was going to be that complicated of a switch/module. So what I may do is get another passenger air bag switch with a cut pig tail with it and somehow build a bench test. Because if I could get it to work on the bench, I will take the one thats currently in the dash and relocate that and the pig tail/harness going to it and stuff it behind the dash so that the SRS system is still working and active, just wont be able to access it for turning it on and off.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I never really jacked with one of those switches to the point of voltage testing, so I can't remember if they output a 5v signal or a 12v signal. If it's 12, then it should work great with a relay.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I never really jacked with one of those switches to the point of voltage testing, so I can't remember if they output a 5v signal or a 12v signal. If it's 12, then it should work great with a relay.

I would imagine they output a 12v signal since I am not seeing a voltage regulator of some kind in the schematic you posted. We will see, before I start ill prob the wires with a multi meter and see what they have running through them. Then if I do find a wire the becomes 12 volt power hot when the key is on, I will just apply a hot 12v source to that wire on the switch and do some bench testing from there.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
There are resistors built into the solid state switch (the squiggly lines you see in the switch) which makes me think it down-regulates to 5v. But yes, testing will verify this. If you get it to work, you should do a write up!

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True there are a few resistors, well we will see! Ill defiantly try and do a write up if its a success! Need to complete my cargo light project first lol

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can do a plunger or roller or magnetic switch hidden behind your ashtray or drink holder.

When I had my Camaro it had T tops. It came with these mirrors with lights and switches. I made one switch into the kill switch. The other turned on both lights.

For anyone looking it looked like I was adjusting my mirror

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I have thought about doing something with a magnetic switch, or putting one in the ashtray. But it just seems like those are just common spots to put one. It would be cool to have something hidden in plan sight and an easy on and off.

Just thought of this while writing this post... Since I have a 2wd I have a lot of blank cover plates in the dash. Well I could buy a factory AUX or CARGO light switch and wire that as a kill. Then its back to the hidden in plan sight and looks factory.