Air Bag Controller Connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A real concern is how much water got in, and what was the cause ?
The seatbelts will still function as an " inertia reel seat belt " ( as the same as always ) ,even though the air bag system inoperative. It's a failsafe design . You lose higher level SRS function, but still retain basic seat belt restraint function.
Some seat belts have pre-tensioners that deploy when the airbags go off, both styles style should still lock up. I don't know offhand what year started with tensioners in gmt400's.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am concerned about the moisture I found, it was unexpected as the carpet seemed dry but the sound deadening material between the carpet and the floor seemed saturated. Not really sure where the moisture source is yet.

I tried again to disconnect the module and I can see a tab in the center of the connector that appears to be the release but no matter how I manipulate that tab I can not get the connector off. Given the problems I am having sourcing a replacement I plan to leave it in place.

I took a picture of the controller corrosion, pretty sure it shows why the module is not comminucating.

Attachments

• 20230830_160520.jpg
    20230830_160520.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 13

ReedIsArt

Reaction score
I am concerned about the moisture I found, it was unexpected as the carpet seemed dry but the sound deadening material between the carpet and the floor seemed saturated. Not really sure where the moisture source is yet.

I tried again to disconnect the module and I can see a tab in the center of the connector that appears to be the release but no matter how I manipulate that tab I can not get the connector off. Given the problems I am having sourcing a replacement I plan to leave it in place.

I took a picture of the controller corrosion, pretty sure it shows why the module is not comminucating.
Hey,

I just fixed mine today. My controller came from a junk yard. To get the connector off you got to do things.
1. Disconnect the big yellow cover and get it off. It is basically a clam shell that covers the actual wiring harness connector that plugs into the air bag module.
2. Take a flat head screw driver and lightly pry on the top left and right corner of the connector. With a little bit of force left and right you will get it off.

Once you got it off just plug your new module in and you are done. I think I’m going to leave my used module on top of the carpet to prevent further damage

ReedIsArt

Reaction score
Hey,

I just fixed mine today. My controller came from a junk yard. To get the connector off you got to do things.
1. Disconnect the big yellow cover and get it off. It is basically a clam shell that covers the actual wiring harness connector that plugs into the air bag module.
2. Take a flat head screw driver and lightly pry on the top left and right corner of the connector. With a little bit of force left and right you will get it off.

Once you got it off just plug your new module in and you are done. I think I’m going to leave my used module on top of the carpet to prevent further damage
FYI, mine is a 1997…

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have posted a follow-up. I did find a replacment module. It was from old dealer inventory (new in the box). It took a bit of work to get the connector off, primarily because it is such an tough place to get too (wiring will not allow the controller to move out from under the seat). Once I got the connector off the replacement was installed and all is good with the air bag system.

ReedIsArt

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have posted a follow-up. I did find a replacment module. It was from old dealer inventory (new in the box). It took a bit of work to get the connector off, primarily because it is such an tough place to get too (wiring will not allow the controller to move out from under the seat). Once I got the connector off the replacement was installed and all is good with the air bag system.
Good to hear man. My replacement module is still working as well. I have not moved it under the carpet at this point. Just letting it sit on top of the old one.