Air Bag Controller Connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1997 C1500 that the computer will not communicate with the air bag controller located under the driver's seat. I cut open the carpet and found that the module is corrodded badly so I am looking for a replacement.

However, I can not get the electrical connector to the module to release. I pulled the black lock piece out but there is apparently a latch/lock that prevents the connector from coming off the module that I am not seeing.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mess with a lot of different stuff so this might not be entirely accurate but 99% of the time there is a safety clip you need to pull out most times of a different color than yellow. Then you need to look carefully where to depress the release clip on the yellow connecter to pull the clip out. In a way they are set up tamper proof and in a way there is absolutely no chance they inadvertently get separated.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1997 C1500 that the computer will not communicate with the air bag controller located under the driver's seat. I cut open the carpet and found that the module is corrodded badly so I am looking for a replacement.

However, I can not get the electrical connector to the module to release. I pulled the black lock piece out but there is apparently a latch/lock that prevents the connector from coming off the module that I am not seeing.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Snap a photo.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes it little more than a tiny tab you need to depress with a dental pick type tool but it's there somewhere. The safety clip is often over it. yes a pic is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a clip dead center of the plug. Press it down through the yellow cover and wiggle it out. Get the number off the controller and install the same used one. They are not available aftermarket. The plug is extremely tight but you will get it off. 3 10 mm bolts. Disconnect the battery before messing with it. It will be easier to unplug it with it not connected to the floor.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I did remove the mounting bolts to get better access and removed the black safety clip but need to go back and look again for the release tab.

I have been looking on E-Bay for a replacment but not found one with the correct P/N yet. I took a picture of the label to have the P/N information handy but it doesn't show the corrosion. It is pretty bad, even made a hole in the outer case. I was amazed at how much mointure there was under the carpet.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any concerns with operating the vehicle with the module removed (and the fuse) other than the air bag system will not function? I am having trouble locating a replcament module.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you work with airbag equipment regularly, it would be good practice to always remove the battery ground. Especially since you have a damaged high potential detonating device. There easy to spot, any yellow wire, tape combo = " Warning ".

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any concerns with operating the vehicle with the module removed (and the fuse) other than the air bag system will not function? I am having trouble locating a replcament module.
The air bags,along with seat belt tensioners present if so equipped, won't function/deploy, but not normally not a drivability issue. SRS is a separate system.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A real concern is how much water got in, and what was the cause ?
The seatbelts will still function as an " inertia reel seat belt " ( as the same as always ) ,even though the air bag system inoperative. It's a failsafe design . You lose higher level SRS function, but still retain basic seat belt restraint function.