Painting my grill.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

semiguy409

The Big Rigger
Reaction score
So... I bought my grill and got it today... my dad asked me how we were gonna end up painting it and I was like.. I have no idea... I figure you guys have done it to your trucks, what is the process in it? I don't want it chipping and having to redo it a lot because of chips.

Thanks,
Jake

Black an tan Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a friend of mine at work paint my grille. Took about a pint of paint, then whatever else was needed. They throw everything you need all together at Napa. I used a single stage paint, I believe he did 5 coats on front an two on the back. Its been holding up decent so far, paint coated bout 50 or so bucks

semiguy409

The Big Rigger
Reaction score
See that is what I am doing... actually basically exactly because I am getting my paint from Napa... hopefully it holds up as good as I am told by others. Thanks for the reply!

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Just sand down the chrome until its not shiny with 6 or 800 grit and it should hold up just fine

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I read that but it didnt register...if its just bare plastic you'll be fine. You culd sand it some if you want, but I don't know if its really necessary

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I read that but it didnt register...if its just bare plastic you'll be fine. You culd sand it some if you want, but I don't know if its really necessary

I personally would sand it to give the paint a little extra grab as well as take out any inperfections (if there are any)

semiguy409

The Big Rigger
Reaction score
Yeah I will prob have to sand it... there are a few spots that would like a little sanding but it wouldn't need it terribly. So I'll see what I end up doing I am sure anyway will do good as long as I take care of it.