painting interior peices! need some ideas please.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gloss black no clear coat needed unless they get some wear and tear.
I prefer clearing over rattle can paint because then you can wet sand it and buff it to make it look like a quality paint job. Rattle can paint usually doesnt set up that well and leaves the fish eye or orange peel look that has to be wet sanded to look truly glossy and smooth.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Photo0842 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0848 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0851 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0856 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0852 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0853 by TLoud, on Flickr

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Big mac, what did you use to paint the dash, like the glove box, its like a vynal im guessing ? im scared that as soon as someone pushes into it to lcose it or something itll crack? and would it hold up in the cold? i do drive in winters here...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Dye is NOT paint.
The dye does not sit on top of the plastic, like a paint. It soaks INTO the plastic.
THe key to properly dying plastic or vinyl is prep.
I like to scrub down whatever is being dyed with a 10% vinegar/water solution first. This will remove the oils & ground in dirt.
Once they're dry (next day), I'll wash 'em down again, with T.S.P. Paint stores will have this. Comes as a powder. Mix as directed on box. Use a good stiff bristle brush for both of these procedures.
Rinse, rinse, rinse, with cold water. Let sit to dry in the sun, or somewhere warm overnight.
Do not touch anything that is gonna be dyed, after these steps, with bare hands. Use 'throw-away' rubber gloves, or touch only where it won't be seen. The oils in your hands will effect the adhesion of the dye.
Hang small parts on coat hangers or wire.
Several light coats are better than a couple of heavy ones. Drips will NOT be able to be sanded out.
Let dry for at least a day before handling.
Good luck.

BIG MAC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Big mac, what did you use to paint the dash, like the glove box, its like a vynal im guessing ? im scared that as soon as someone pushes into it to lcose it or something itll crack? and would it hold up in the cold? i do drive in winters here...

Read below.....

Dye is NOT paint.
The dye does not sit on top of the plastic, like a paint. It soaks INTO the plastic.
I like to scrub down whatever is being dyed with a 10% vinegar/water solution first. This will remove the oils & ground in dirt.
Once they're dry (next day), I'll wash 'em down again, with T.S.P. Paint stores will have this. Comes as a powder. Mix as directed on box. Use a good stiff bristle brush for both of these procedures.
Rinse, rinse, rinse, with cold water. Let sit to dry in the sun, or somewhere warm overnight.
Do not touch anything that is gonna be dyed, after these steps, with bare hands. Use 'throw-away' rubber gloves, or touch only where it won't be seen. The oils in your hands will effect the adhesion of the dye.
Several light coats are better than a couple of heavy ones. Drips will NOT be able to be sanded out.
Good luck.

Everything sewlow58 said x2.

I used SEM dye http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html use the color coat for vinyl and plastic and the classic coat for leather. Proper prep is the key! PREP PREP and more PREP is what it takes for a good dye job

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
I cleaned the hell out of this peice then scotchbrighted it and sprayed with some Dupli color perfect match. It seems to be holding up real good/

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dye is NOT paint.
Good luck.

Word!

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
Not to hi jack.....but.....what color scheme would you guys do with a blue interior?

i've got the pieces to do exactly what big mac did, a black "stripe" in my 94s blue interior, but i went one step further and painted the cluster surround.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TLoud, how did you tape off all of the little gray buttons and things so well on the overhead console and glove box? I want to re-do mine. Again. I really want to get that glass gloss look like you have...and the key to that is a bunch of clear and wetsanding correct?

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score

Photo0842 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0848 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0851 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0856 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0852 by TLoud, on Flickr

Photo0853 by TLoud, on Flickr
That looks amazing!!!! what exactly did you use and what steps did you take?