Orange coolant in radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the engine and entire coolant system probably within 6 months. I'm just looking to top it off for now as I won't be driving it much until then.
Why top it off? Why get concerned about the coolant now?

Put the cap on, shut the hood. Come back when you're ready to yank the engine.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could you use the pink toyota super long life coolant in a 98 5.7 vortec?
Well, I have never tried. I like the good old fashioned green Preston. To answer your question though, you can run any collamt you want to, IF, you completely flush out everything in the system. Prestonakes a flust and fill kit that back flushes the system by giving you a way to hook up your garden hose, and flush the whole system through the filler neck of the radiator. You have to install a tee in the heater hose. I have been using these kits for many years. They work grate. Thing is, it is critical to be sure that your system ONLY has water in it before you change you coolent type.
You must be registered for see images attach

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why top it off? Why get concerned about the coolant now?

Put the cap on, shut the hood. Come back when you're ready to yank the engine.
I understand your point. Why now? Well, when I bought the truck, I picked it up at PO's home. I didn't have any fluids to top it off, nor would I have felt right doing maintenance in the PO's garage (and I don't think he would have aprpeciated it).

Fortunately, it made it home. Next day I inspected it, and noticed several fluids leaks (probably engine oil and power steering fluid), and the coolant wasn't at the top of the filler neck. I will need to drive it on at least two occasions: Discount Tire for tire replacement, and a state inspection in order to get it titled/registered.

I would like to just top it off to prevent overheating in the meantime. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother if I was just going to have it in the garage the entire time.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see you are from Texas, I would go with the adding of distilled water. If you were up in Canada or the northern states I would worry about just adding water. As a cracked block due to the ice expansion is a real thing up here.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s cold where you are, if so, I’d probably just get cheap autozone 50/50 to add also to overflow tank. Just adding water to that in freezing weather not good!
DO NOT mix Dex with anything! Top it with Dex or flush and refill with the green stuff and distilled water

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you use the pink toyota super long life coolant in a 98 5.7 vortec?

Very interesting reading may be found here in these Motor Magazine stories about coolant types and additives, and how / why they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and application to application:

Coolant Confusion: It's Not Easy Being Green ... or Yellow or Orange or ...

Relearning the Alphabet: Making Sense of the Cooling System Scene
https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/082010_08.pdf

Both these should be required reading for any shade tree mechanic, IMHO.

Last edited: