Orange coolant in radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never asked previous owner what coolant he used. There's orange coolant in the radiator.

You must be registered for see images attach

Coolant overflow reservoir was bone dry.

It's reasonable to conclude that the orange coolant in the radiator is indeed Dex-cool, right? I use Dex-cool on the wife's Cobalt, so I am familiar with it. I just want to be sure there's nothing else that it could be.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I like the idea of a coolant flush, looks like someone might’ve used that universal orange coolant stuff instead of getting the proper coolant. Do a flush and (imo) put green coolant in it, or continue using Dex.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO it still looks dirty. I’d do a complete flush.
I'm going to replace the engine and entire coolant system probably within 6 months. I'm just looking to top it off for now as I won't be driving it much until then.

Do you think it's Dex-Cool?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a coolant flush, looks like someone might’ve used that universal orange coolant stuff instead of getting the proper coolant. Do a flush and (imo) put green coolant in it, or continue using Dex.
Ah ok...so there is a universal orange? Well damn. Now I will probably do a flush as topping it off with Dex-Cool might create a big problem if it isn't Dex-Cool in there.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s cold where you are, if so, I’d probably just get cheap autozone 50/50 to add also to overflow tank. Just adding water to that in freezing weather not good!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd just get a store brand universal if you're going to flush it soon, in fact, that's probably what I'll use in mine if I flush it. Our trucks really aren't set up well for Dex. Dex is better with a sealed system with a pressurized coolant bottle.

I've got Dexcool in my 2000 Saturn, and it's been fine, but that car has a fully pressurized system. It's got a broken radiator tank, now and I started adding distilled water, and then finally some generic coolant since I knew I was replacing the car.... it is now replaced. The radiator is original, so 20+ years was a good run.

Traditional green (not a long life green) is not what I'd go with unless it's got a copper/brass radiator. I read somewhere the newer LL coolants can cause solder bloom. I've also read it's harder on the hoses and that LL coolant is part of why hoses last next to forever, now. For instace that Saturn has mostly original hoses. I did replace the lower radiator hose, when I did the thermostat..... thermostat seems to be on the intake side of the engine like an LS engine so I had to remove it any way.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it. You can take a little bit of a sample to take a look at the condition of it.
I was recommended flush and new coolant, but I get your point about changing the coolant when you remove the engine. No point. Just use the universal coolant. It's kinda green, but more pale. Just keep the freeze protection for the time being.