Orange coolant in radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. when you do flush it, switch to the green coolant. the dexcool eats the intake gaskets. change it about every 3 years. i have 7 obs's and all are green coolant and guess what "NO INTAKE GASKET PROBLEMS EVER ".

Using a modern long-life antifreeze should not pose a problem if one has already replaced the intake gaskets (as many of us have, particularly gaskets which saw Dexcool from the factory), and using a long-life coolant is doing yourself a favor from a maintenance perspective.

Dexcool and other coolants in the past, such as Prestone long-life from the 2002 era, introduced the use of 2-EHA, aka 2-ethylhexanoic acid, as a rust and corrosion inhibitor.

2-EHA degraded the gaskets in a lot of vehicles which, in turn, was reportedly the source of the coolant loss / leaking gasket problems. I swapped Dexcool out of a 1999 GM 3.8L V6 early on (around 2002) and used... Prestone long-life, just to later learn both used 2-EHA. So of course, the intake gaskets developed a leak before much longer, and were replaced.

Modern gasket compositions have evidently overcome the detrimental effects of 2-EHA.

To date I use Prestone's "Dexcool" in my Suburban and S10 pickup. I'm guessing I could use Prestone's long-life too; I haven't compared their labels but I wouldn't be surprised to find their additives are similar if not identical.

Last edited:

hobbit319

Reaction score
If you are unsure as to what is in it, but want to add antifreeze, add the yellow "all makes" antifreeze. It mixes with all colors without any issues.