OPINION TIME!!!! Engine Flush and transmission flush

Should I run an engine flush through my dirty ass 350 with 290k on it?

• Yes- let the games begin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just seafoam it

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No!

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I though sludge was a form of lubrication for GM products????

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok gents,
Im out to sea for the next week, and when I get back the maintenance on the trucks starts up yet again.
So here are my questions, and lets do this the Poll method!!! Also, what is your recommended product for doing the engine flush if I choose to go that route, and method for performing it?
PS- transmission flush is not via the quicky lube pressure pump blow the crud through the lines with high pressure through method, but through the return line dirty/clean fluid transfer method with a new filter.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
It really depends on how much money you intended to dump into the truck. An engine/transmission flush could be just what the doctor ordered or lead to catastrophic failure not to long from now. Really depends on how much the parts in question were abused. Is the tranny fluid pink/red or more of a maroon/brown color? Engine oil turns brown after startup after an oil change.

If you are planning to get as many miles as possible on borrowed time, I would say just sea foam. If you're not afraid of rebuilding in the near future, do a full flush. But don't forget to drop the oil pan after the engine flush. As there very likely will be debris in there.

I have never done an engine flush. I have always opted to rebuild. So I can't give advice on products to use. Only second hand advice from others who have.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The old girl is going to get rebuilt in the next year,just trying to squeeze a little more time out of her before I deploy in august for a year.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The old girl is going to get rebuilt in the next year,just trying to squeeze a little more time out of her before I deploy in august for a year.
I wouldn't worry about it then. Save your flush money and spend it on the rebuild. I doubt a flush is going to be the deciding factor as to whether or not it'll run til next year. Just my .02

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Flush? Nah. Drain and fill and replace filters? Sure why not.

dryslk

Reaction score
If it was me to clean up the engine sludge i have used Shell Rotella 15/40 motor oil in the summer & never had a problem motor was nice & clean when i pulled the valve covers & intake

TigerEyz3

Reaction score
Not knocking your usage, but isn't the 15/40 kind of heavy/viscous? How well does it lubricate things on cold-startup?

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish the engine was clean and shiny. Im fighting 20 years of abuse on the poor truck and slowly overcoming one thing at a time. close to 3/4 of an " of sludge on the outside of the engine in places, and on the frame. The inside from what I can see through the filler port looks like someone took a crap in the engine.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I wish the engine was clean and shiny. Im fighting 20 years of abuse on the poor truck and slowly overcoming one thing at a time. close to 3/4 of an " of sludge on the outside of the engine in places, and on the frame. The inside from what I can see through the filler port looks like someone took a crap in the engine.

I would avoid any type of "flush" then. Just keep the oil changed and run it until it grenades. Or you rebuilt it. I'm sure it has a decent amount of miles left. But a flush could potentially open Pandora's box. There is no replacement for regular maintenance.