OK SO Any1 Done This???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
My boost guage turns on with the ignition cycle and utomatically calibrates to zero before the engine fore, so it can account for differences in atmospheric pressure due to elevation and stuff.

So, do you know if these trucks are just 1 bar MAP sensors?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Someone's gears are turning to find out if a gauge can be hooked to this......:naughty:

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

Nope, I already have an AutoMeter Vac/Boost gauge. Comes with its own MAP sensor, just wondering how the computer is seeing pressure.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
My boost guage turns on with the ignition cycle and utomatically calibrates to zero before the engine fore, so it can account for differences in atmospheric pressure due to elevation and stuff.

So, do you know if these trucks are just 1 bar MAP sensors?

I belive they are all 1 bar unless they're turbocharged, like a GN or similar.

My 3 bar sensor is actually a GM part number. It uses a digital guage that I can define the parameters on. What zero is, high and low alarms, etc.....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nope, I already have an AutoMeter Vac/Boost gauge. Comes with its own MAP sensor, just wondering how the computer is seeing pressure.

What, your PCM?

It gets PSIA from the map. Sometimes they incorporate 2 sensors. Usually one is called a baro (barometric) sensor and the PCM compares that to the MAP/boost sensor for finer resolution...

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
This is actually morphing into a legitimate thread. One reason I love this place.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
This is actually morphing into a legitimate thread. One reason I love this place.

Heck, I gots lots more stuff rollin' around in me ol' noggin'.

Someone just has to ask the right questions to get it to leak out.....:rofl:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Heck, I gots lots more stuff rollin' around in me ol' noggin'.

Someone just has to ask the right questions to get it to leak out.....:rofl:

You should start a telescope into my head thread. Start spilling it all onto one thread we can all read a billion times in hopes of learning and retaining maybe 1/4 of it. Posting everything you know would be impossible. Nowhere to begin nowhere to change direction. Oh well. It was a grand idea. :deal:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You should start a telescope into my head thread. Start spilling it all onto one thread we can all read a billion times in hopes of learning and retaining maybe 1/4 of it. Posting everything you know would be impossible. Nowhere to begin nowhere to change direction. Oh well. It was a grand idea. :deal:

nah, I need a subject to start with.

Seems to be no shortage of that around here!

:rofl:

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great explanation of the sensor GW. I knew about the theory of pressures as it pertains to my job, but didn't know any of that about the GM map sensors. I had often wondered about ranges and what the 1/2/3 bar meant on them beyond bar being a unit of measure.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Great explanation of the sensor GW. I knew about the theory of pressures as it pertains to my job, but didn't know any of that about the GM map sensors. I had often wondered about ranges and what the 1/2/3 bar meant on them beyond bar being a unit of measure.

To further complicate it, a 1 bar sensor will measure over 1 bar. The problem is that it is outside it's design range and the voltages it produces isn't understood properly by the PCM. It's a 5v referenced sensor, like pretty much all of them. That's why it has 3 wires on it. 5V, ground and sense wire back to the PCM.

It's the same for a 2 or 3 bar sensor and the sensing signal. You can't just throw a 2 bar in place of a 1 bar, the PCM won't scale the voltage return signal properly.