Oily AC Condenser?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 with the Vortec 5700. I am currently clear coating all of my headlights and taillights and noticed something strange. I tried looking it up on here but got nothing.

I removed the grille to get to the headlights. As I've been spraying them, The roll of paper towels that leaned on the exposed AC condenser got grease stains on it. I found that strange and was wondering why this would happen? It's also very dirty on the Driver's side, but very clean and dry on the passenger side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure what this means and how bad it is.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's counterintuitive, but your fan can recirculate leaking oil or power steering fluid around to the front when hot idling for extended periods, particularly if you have missing fan shroud. Got any leaks behind there?

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's counterintuitive, but your fan can recirculate leaking oil or power steering fluid around to the front when hot idling for extended periods, particularly if you have missing fan shroud. Got any leaks behind there?

I don't have a missing fan shroud. I also have no power steering fluid leaks, but I do have a leaking oil pan and oil cooler lines (plan on fixing that next week) which might be the culprit.

Now that you've mentioned that, I'm debating on weather or not to replace the AC condenser while I'm also installing a engine oil cooler and lines bc it's the only original cooling part that was not replaced when my transmission came into the shop.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sniff it!
How’s the performance of your a/c? It could be pag oil but it’s usually rare for a condenser to leak somewhere with no connections or welds/brazing, like end caps, fittings, and lines.

I’d suspect power steering fluid, did you have a leak at any point in the past?

You could hose it down with brake clean and see if it comes back.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sniff it!
How’s the performance of your a/c? It could be pag oil but it’s usually rare for a condenser to leak somewhere with no connections or welds/brazing, like end caps, fittings, and lines.

I’d suspect power steering fluid, did you have a leak at any point in the past?

You could hose it down with brake clean and see if it comes back.

The A/C is cold, but smells really musty, not sure if that's related to the condenser or not.

I smelled the condenser and it smells like a mix of oil and coolant.

I haven't had any power steering leaks in the past, but my oil pan and cooler lines are leaking.

I have hosed it down with 1/2 can brake cleaner already, but it still smells like coolant and oil.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the AC work? If yes, look somewhere else for leaks (and hit the condensor with some coil cleaner and flush from the backside). If no, I' guestimate you have a hole in the condenser.

I'm a bit worried that I may have a small leak in the condenser. My coolant from my reservoir tank is gone, but my radiator is still full. The condenser smells like a mix of oil and coolant and my radiator (which was likely original) had a small leak that I never noticed until I brought my truck into the shop for a transmission replacement. The transmission tech replaced it with an aftermarket one bc GM doesn't make radiators for these trucks anymore.