Oil Pressure Sensor on top of the engine on the Drivers Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am almost done with the LS Swap on my 97 2 door.

On the back of the engine up top on the drivers side, there is what I am guessing is the oil pressure sensor. The plug on the 97 has 3 wires...

You must be registered for see images attach

The plug on the LS engine only has one wire...

You must be registered for see images attach

The harness will be wired differently depending on what sensor is used.

I'm not using the computer from the 97. Only the computer from the 02.

Do I need to use the old sensor so the gauge on the dash reads correct?

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
The unit on the '97 is actually two devices. The center pin goes to the gauge and the unit body provides ground through the pressure operated resistance to read out the gauge.

The other two pins are a pressure operated switch that provides power to the fuel pump in parallel with the power provided to the pump through the fuel pump relay. Allows the engine to continue to run with pressure if the relay were lost with the engine running.

Not sure what the '02 computer is looking for.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The unit on the '97 is actually two devices. The center pin goes to the gauge and the unit body provides ground through the pressure operated resistance to read out the gauge.

The other two pins are a pressure operated switch that provides power to the fuel pump in parallel with the power provided to the pump through the fuel pump relay. Allows the engine to continue to run with pressure if the relay were lost with the engine running.

Thanks for the reply.

From what I have been able to find so far I need to run the 97 part on the 02 engine.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I just read two other write ups about installing an LS into a 97 Tahoe, and got a reply from another forum that I need to use the old sensor and plug on the new engine. I will need to revise my harness now, but not a huge deal.

cookseyb

Reaction score
You will have to get a M12(Ithink) to 1/8 pipe adapter to run your old sensor. The LS doesn't require a hook up to the computer only the gage. Once you get it to pipe thread you could tee off and run a mechanical gage too...

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have to get a M12(Ithink) to 1/8 pipe adapter to run your old sensor. The LS doesn't require a hook up to the computer only the gage. Once you get it to pipe thread you could tee off and run a mechanical gage too...

Thanks for the information. I would eventually like to replace the factory gauges.