Oil pressure low at idle when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took an old distributor and ground down the teeth like above but welded a nut to the top of the shaft and used a 1/4" drive electric ratchet and socket. There's not a lot of room above the dizzy for a regular drill, at least on my truck. Lots of different ways to skin this cat :waytogo:

Andyvinn1

Reaction score
I use an old distributor that had the plastic pressed in points fall off. I took out the gear, cut off some of the housing, drilled a hole in the center rod put a cotter pin and washer so the rod doesn't fall in. Put a drill at it's end and give it a go.

I have a snake eye that can get take a look. I'll take off the valve covers put on the oil stops on the rockers and see how the lifters behave. The oil coming out from under the lifters should be move of an ooze out not so much a splash out?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I use an old distributor that had the plastic pressed in points fall off. I took out the gear, cut off some of the housing, drilled a hole in the center rod put a cotter pin and washer so the rod doesn't fall in. Put a drill at it's end and give it a go.

I have a snake eye that can get take a look. I'll take off the valve covers put on the oil stops on the rockers and see how the lifters behave. The oil coming out from under the lifters should be move of an ooze out not so much a splash out?
Yup. Change the filter first. I like the Wix filters myself. Still U.S. made.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said you had this built off a earlier non roller prevortec block. And your howards cam kit and roller lifters conversion, had everything required. The engine was rebuilt with new cam bearings installed? Did you confirm cam journal diameters to bearing id clearances? Roller lifter O.D. to lifter I.D. hole. (?) The oil at normal operating temp's ( oil temp, coolant temp) is not your low pressure condition. Where does oil travel? Oil pump, filter housing, block passages; crank-mains, rods; cam- pushrods. So alot clearances on the high side can add up. And therefore at normal temp, normal idle, the normal output of oil pump could not be enough for all the excessive flows. The other theory from what is described, could your oil pump be not up to the task- too many small leaks at low output, or could your pump have an internal problem, at higher rpm it's good but great. If the pump has excessive clearance or has suddenly failed internally ( broken relief spring) good at higher rpm crap at idle. Those are what i think about from your descriptions. For 100 psi and less i use a mechanical gauge with 3 inch face, goes 0- 100. The zero is at 7 oclock and 100 is at 6 oclock it's an OCD thing exact pressure indicate. Unless during the block overhaul some plugs were left out causing excessive pressure loss. Everything else is normal, no other unusual souds or actions. What i would do is probably, bite down on this it will hurt, drop the pan and swap out the oil pump. And see what happens, with no other indications, .....I'm not looking it up right now but the low oil press light comes on when oil press is below 6 psi? Okay good luck, please let us know your outcome and or what you find.

Andyvinn1

Reaction score
The engine was rebuilt when it was made into a stroker. I did not check the clearances when i swapped camshafts. As for the oil pump it's a Melling High Volume standard pressure oill pump. It is the first one i had in there before I did the changes. I also put in a Moroso standard pressure standard volume oil pump, and a Melling Shark Tooth high pressure standard volume oil pump. When I get a chance I'm going to look at the lifters in action. Hopefully i can see how the oil spilling out. Also change out the filter and look at the internals of the old one.

Andyvinn1

Reaction score
Update, ran engine and let the oil get nice and warm, pressure dropped from 60 all the way to 15. Lowered idle to 650 RPM. Oil pressure shot up to 40 with some throttle. Took off the valve cover and checked the lifters with my boroscope while the engine at idle. The lifters oozed out oil, didn't splash oil out from under. Rockers had oil being pumped up to them. Everything there looked good. I got video but was to large a file to upload. Going to call Howard's Cam to gather more information on the cam and lifters. I've ran into Jegs and Summit not having the correct description or information on some products.
Haven't taken the oil filter apart yet. Will update when I do.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took an old distributor and ground down the teeth like above but welded a nut to the top of the shaft and used a 1/4" drive electric ratchet and socket. There's not a lot of room above the dizzy for a regular drill, at least on my truck. Lots of different ways to skin this cat :waytogo:
There you go.

My big electric Makita 1/2" chuck drill won't fit. One of the larger cordless (most all are 1/2" chuck) in low range will work also. But I like the idea of a air ratchet.