Oil pan gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Well I was stupid n didn't RTV thr gasket so Huck drips oil as he runs. I wanna do it but how hard is it with front diff in place? Or should I just wait til I get new front diff n do both at same time? Gonna be a ground pounder job either way cuz I don't have a lift n will be doin it alone. Thanks.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
What year is your truck? When I was inspecting the old engine in the 89 for the rod knock, I had to pull the bolts for the diff to get enough room to remove the pan. And that was on a 2 post lift...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What gasket? One-piece rubber job?

You'd need four "dots" of RTV, one each at the "corners" where the gasket goes up 'n' over the timing cover and rear main cap. I hope you're not planning to smear that crap all over.

Are you CERTAIN that the leak isn't from somewhere else, and merely showing-up at the oil pan gasket?

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score

You'd need four "dots" of RTV, one each at the "corners" where the gasket goes up 'n' over the timing cover and rear main cap. I hope you're not planning to smear that crap all over.

Are you CERTAIN that the leak isn't from somewhere else, and merely showing-up at the oil pan gasket?
One piece gasket. It's dripping out right at corner of block, timing cover and oil pan. Maybe just out the front under timing cover lip as it is drippin straight down n the sides are dry. May crawl under there n see if there's enough room to drop it slightly, clean up n dab the rtv on it. If I can accomplish that I just need it on block side of gasket correct?

Pulled him in n jacked him up. Looks like I may be able get away with droppin pan n not pullin axle. Not gonna start today as I gotta leave here in bout hour n half n don't want it just sittin here for 2 days with pan off. Maybe Tuesday start tackling it.

Last edited:

SableSlayer

Reaction score
You can definitely do it by raising the engine. Start with undoing the motor mount bolts that slide then stick a foot long 2*4 against the harmonic balancer and slowly jack it up. It opens up access to everything perfectly

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
You can definitely do it by raising the engine. Start with undoing the motor mount bolts that slide then stick a foot long 2*4 against the harmonic balancer and slowly jack it up. It opens up access to everything perfectly
I need to replace front diff anyways to match rear so I pulled it all apart.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score

Well pulling off the old gasket I did dab 4 dots of rtv when I installed it. Leaked right thru. Can't remember at this point if it was a name brand decent gasket. Gonna head to parts store in town n get new one. Good thing is the guys who run the store are mechanics and their son builds squarebodies so I can get better advice than the big national chain stores.

Now starting to think I never pulled this pan n it's what came on it from junkyard.

Last edited:

Laredo1307

Reaction score
I recently did this.

I basically removed the 4 front diff bolts so that it would drop about an inch or two and stay in-place, then I removed the drivers side motor mount bolt and that was enough to jack up the motor to remove my pan. I was also replacing my timing chain and cover. DO NOT use a Dorman replacement cover. Besides it cheap and flimsy, the track on the bottom where the gasket lays in is too shallow. If you're using the 1-piece FELPro gasket it will bunch up and not seal properly to the oil pan when you bolt it on. You won't know till you're driving and oil is dripping out the bottom. But frankly I think you're better off not using the gasket there and just filling that whole timing cover track with RTV plumb to the edge of the timing cover. The only thing is you'll need to let you truck sit for at least 48hrs before you drive. I don't care if it's the fast curing RTV. It takes a long time for the center to cure when it's that thick.