Oil filter adapter leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I've been searching around on here as well as Google, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so sorry for a duplicate thread if it exists. There is a pinned thread on here that sounds like it could be what I'm looking for, but the pictures no longer exist and that has me a little skeptical as it references a 1/2 inch socket which is too big for what I'm working with.

I have a leak where the oil filter adapter bolts to the block (7.4L L29). From what I have found online, it sounds that there is an o-ring in there that needs to be replaced. I bought a new o-ring for it, but I'm having difficulty finding a socket to get the darn thing off.

You must be registered for see images attach

(I found this picture from evhfan2000 on chevytalk.org, but this is exactly what I am looking at)

If anyone has ever replaced the o-ring on this before, do you have any tips? It looks like it's a 5/16 oil plug socket. My burb is my daily driver at the moment, so I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I go to town on it. I'm tired of the oil stains on my driveway and the smell of oil dripping on my exhaust pipe while it's warming up lol

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a Pipe Plug socket, sorry, not sure what size (5/16" I think). Some folks will just take a spare 3/8'" extension and grind it down to fit.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. I ordered a 5/16" socket from NAPA so it should be here before Saturday.

When I get those 5/16" bolts removed, what should I expect to see? Am I just removing a cover that I put the new o-ring on or is it a little more involved, if you know?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I ground a down a 3/8''x 3'' extension to get those plugs out,once those are out you'll see(IIRC) 10mm bolts.remove those and the adapter will fall out.Once that's gone you'll see an ''o'' ring,remove that,install a new one and reverse the procedure.I had oil seeping out from those damn plugs so I finally put some Permatex #2 on the threads and the leak stopped.Been that way for years with no leaks.

cjmspartans

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the job this afternoon, and now the oil leak is gone! It took a 5/16" oil plug socket (NAPA part CHT S38SQDP10 if anyone else stumbles upon this), and I managed to remove and replace the two bolts behind the plugs with an allen socket. While the allen socket worked for removal and installation, the bolt will accept torx.

Now it's time to clean up the old oil stains on my driveway. I tried a driveway and masonry cleaner from ZEP afterwards and the driveway is drying, so fingers crossed. My landlord will probably kill me if I can't get these stains out lol

dusty_bawls44

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I've been searching around on here as well as Google, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so sorry for a duplicate thread if it exists. There is a pinned thread on here that sounds like it could be what I'm looking for, but the pictures no longer exist and that has me a little skeptical as it references a 1/2 inch socket which is too big for what I'm working with.

I have a leak where the oil filter adapter bolts to the block (7.4L L29). From what I have found online, it sounds that there is an o-ring in there that needs to be replaced. I bought a new o-ring for it, but I'm having difficulty finding a socket to get the darn thing off.

You must be registered for see images attach

(I found this picture from evhfan2000 on chevytalk.org, but this is exactly what I am looking at)

If anyone has ever replaced the o-ring on this before, do you have any tips? It looks like it's a 5/16 oil plug socket. My burb is my daily driver at the moment, so I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I go to town on it. I'm tired of the oil stains on my driveway and the smell of oil dripping on my exhaust pipe while it's warming up lol

I’ve been trying to find this part but everywhere I look I can’t find one like this where did you get it from?

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
A little late to the party but you usually can find a 12 point socket to fit a square plug. If not there are 8 point sockets for square plugs.

Ken

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little late to the party but you usually can find a 12 point socket to fit a square plug. If not there are 8 point sockets for square plugs.

Ken
Those are female, not male. Usually use 3/8 or 1/2 drive.