Nv3500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckOBS5-7

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a 1994 Chevy k2500 with the 4l80e trans I'm wondering if the nv3500 trans out of a 1991 k1500 with the 4.3l fit in the 94 k2500

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not 100% sure but if I remember correct it should work, just be aware that the early 5 speeds were the getrag 290’s and they weren’t as good as the later nv3500s. But I’m sure there’s some guys here that know better than I do so don’t hold me to it. Lol
But I think it should work

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
since your 2500 has a 4l80e in you would be better off finding a nv4500 if your truck has has a 350 a nv3500 might live okay but if you have a 454 or a diesel no way it will not live long

RedneckOBS5-7

Reaction score
It's got the 350 with a stage 3 cam in it the only reason I ask is because I'm gonna swap it to carb and don't wanna mess with the trans kick down cable

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swapping from an electronic automatic to a manual transmission is a big task. Beside all the changes related to the engine to transmission interface and the electrical changes you need to get a clutch pedal, clutch master and slave, etc. to be able to make it work. It can be done but it is not an easy swap.

I have used NV3500s behind 350's, even a 400 but I don't do anything to stress the drivetrain that would expose the limited torque capability of the transmission.

RedneckOBS5-7

Reaction score
That's the last stage is to aggressive for the computer to keep up so I'm swapping it to carb and a manual so I have less to do
4L80E doesn't have a kickdown cable. Seems like a trans controller and tps would be easier.

Stage 3, is that like the final stage or are there more stages after that?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Stage 1 is "stock", Stage 2 is "street performance, and Stage 3 is "race", a 3/4 race cam would be a 2 1/4 cam.

I know that some of you who aren't old enough to know that the whole "Stage" thing was an invention of the original Gran Turismo game. It was a way for them to offer upgrades across all the cars in a way that the player could easily tell how upgraded something was, as opposed to the real world where you have to know the specs of your parts. It was also silly that no matter what you did, if you put a higher stage part on a car, it was faster, even if in the real world it would kill power, such as putting waaay too huge of a "camshaft upgrade" in a bone stock car.

In the real world its meaning is completely arbitrary and depends on what the advertiser wants you to believe. There are plenty of boy-racer street performance parts being sold as "Stage 3" performance parts, and plenty of people selling full-on race parts that require a full complement of other parts as "Stage 3" bolt-ons. Buyer beware. You really need to know how the parts work and investigate the parts you're buying.

There are some vendors trying to make an honest go of "Stage" upgrades. The problem with this is that we all nerd out on performance and think we can out-think the people investing time and energy into balanced, engineered upgrades. If you trust the vendor, follow their "Stage" program. Otherwise, study up.