Not too happy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain both our current GMT400's are still rolling around on their original ball joints. I've got 244k on my '89 K1500, her '92 C1500 has 200k on it. Front ends/front wheels are still tight, hers doesn't even have any steering slop. I check them every oil change and grease as needed, boots are starting to dry rot but until they pop, I'm rockin' 'em.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shells wouldn't use anything except some aerosol lube or engine oil to press in. Getting the old ones out is often done with an air chisel. Collapse the shell with the chisel, and they practically fall out. But I like not dicking with the press at all, as described previously.

AC Delco has been contracting out manufacturing for decades. I'm all about "Made In The USA", but the Chinese are capable of producing good stuff--it is entirely dependent on the company doing the contracting and their specs and quality control. You gotta' watch the Chinese like a hawk. In many, if not most cases, AC Delco is still a good bet.

The original bushings I pressed out were fine in hindsight, but I already had the new poly bushings. Now, if I had known polyurethane bushings squeaked when cold, I never would have installed them. Nobody told me.........sheesh. I still have poly cab mount bushings sitting in the box, but I don't know if they are gonna squeak.......

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've been told that the red poly bushings have a tendancy to squeek.
The black ones in my '97 do, but the red ones in my '98 don't. Go figure.
Poly bushings require synthetic grease, mostly for longevity but probably helps to keep the squeeks to a minimum, too.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been told that the red poly bushings have a tendancy to squeek.
The black ones in my '97 do, but the red ones in my '98 don't. Go figure.
Poly bushings require synthetic grease, mostly for longevity but probably helps to keep the squeeks to a minimum, too.

And I have the red ones:rolleyes:..........I got a good deal on them, but had no idea red squeaks more than black......geeeez. I used lots of the grease, even used an extra packet.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a time when the black bushings had graphite in them to reduce squeeks.

I have heard--but NOT confirmed--that the graphite has been eliminated.

Reaction score
This past round of major repairs and upgrades, I bought one part each week and did multiple inspections over a few months slowely cleaning the old parts and reaquainting myself with the repairs. I organized my tools a did dry runs in my head to get the sequence down. Then I did the front end rebuild in about a day.
Take your time getting organized.

Frogprince

Reaction score
On the fuel leak, it might be the pump main gasket. Mine messaged after I changed it last fall.

Pulled it on the fourth and it wasn't on the pump assembly. The new gasket and pump took more effort in fitting.

I only replaced the Pump the second time around due to breaking a fitting in the removal.