Non intermittent to Intermittent Wipers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just scored a nice parts truck. I’m doing some upgrades on my 1989 Cheyenne and one of the things on my list is adding intermittent wipers. The parts truck has them, and I’d like to add them to my truck. Is it as easy as swapping the multifunctional switch? Or is there more to it? Any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1988-1994 (and of course older pre-gmt400 trucks) the wiper switch is separate from the multifunction switch. It's operated by the multifunction lever, but electrically, the only switches that are literally part of the multifunction lever are the cruise controls. The wiper switch is separate and lives inside the column housing. It is indeed a different part for intermittent vs. non-intermittent. It will come with its own wiring pigtail.

Apparently, there are 4 different wiper switches - w/ and w/o intermittent, w/and w/o tilt wheel. So be sure you snag the right parts.

Obviously, you'll need to change the wiper motor, too.

You may want to look at the factory service manual for breakdown of the steering column before tearing into it. It's a little bit of work. Links for the factory manuals online can be found here on the forum.

(and just an informational tidbit - basically all electrical functions in the steering column are separate switches on the pre-1995 trucks, instead of integrated into one mf switch like 1995-up. high beams are operated physically by the mf lever, but it's a separate switch down on the column. wipers are a separate switch. turn signal/hazard switch is separate.)

Richard