Noisy lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my 383 was installed about 18 months ago, it kinda sounded like a diesel when first started up with some metallic ticking. i called the engine maufactureer and they thought it was the crankshaft hitting the oil pan cause we didn't pound it out enough for crankshaft clearance. Since the sound would go away after it warmed up, I figured that was it.

Yesterday I climbed under with the engine running cold with my stethoscope and could not hear any clanking anywhere around the oil pan. went up top and heard a tick in the middle of the block on the passenger side. So I figure its a lifter (had that problem on my 292 Chevy Van 6 cyl). The 383 has a roller cam and I think it would be worthwhile to try to adjust the valve lash. I've never dealt with a roller cam and roller lifters.

Any suggestions on how to do it? Or if it would be something else?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heard a tick in the middle of the block on the passenger side. So I figure its a lifter
Just pop off the valve cover and turn over the engine until you're at base circle on each cam lobe, wiggle the rocker arm to see if it feels looser than the others. Since your noise goes away after running awhile you're probably only ~1/2 turn on the rocker nut off. Adjustment is pretty much the same as with flat tappets - everyone has their favorite way to do that.:biggrin:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjustment is no different than any other SBC with hydraulic lifters since 1955.

There's thirty different ways to do it and achieve adequate results.

I don't know why rod/crank clearance to the oil pan would change when the engine warms up.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks already for quick answers.

Looks like it might be tough to get the passenger side valve cover off? The A/C pipes seem to be in the way? Can't do it till the weekend so just asking.

I figured it was easy but never having seen a roller rocker wanted to be sure. Have adjusted valves on my 292 6 cyl in 1965 Chevy Van so easy, wasn't sure about v-8's

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It'll come off. Just takes a little wiggle at most - no need to disconnect the A/C line.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured it was easy but never having seen a roller rocker wanted to be sure. Have adjusted valves on my 292 6 cyl in 1965 Chevy Van so easy, wasn't sure about v-8's
1. Are you sure you have roller rockers? GM didn't put roller rockers on TBI or '96-style Vortec V-8s.

2. If you do have roller rockers, inspect them carefully. The market is saturated with imported, low-quality junk rockers that wear prematurely or break.

3. If you have self-aligning rockers, you should NOT have pushrod guideplates. No pushrod guideplates, no need for hardened pushrods. If you have pushrod guideplates, you MUST have hardened pushrods, AND the rockers cannot be self-aligning. They'd need to be the older design.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it might be tough to get the passenger side valve cover off? The A/C pipes seem to be in the way? Can't do it till the weekend so just asking.

On my TBI truck I can just pop off the valve cover. On my Vortec Suburban, I had to take the belt off, take the nuts loose on the accessory drive brackets, and slide the assembly forward a couple inches to get the valve cover off.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A roller cam has roller lifters but not necessarily roller rockers.:33:
Yep, that's where I was going, in a roundabout sort of way.

I was also cautioning against cheap Chinese rockers which may be noisy 'cause they're cracked or worn. Well, ANY rockers could be noisy 'cause they're cracked or worn.