No start/Slow start Intermittent problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antichrist

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone.. I'm leaning towards the fuel pump now. I checked the distributor cap and rotor yesterday, the electrode on the rotor looked a little bit burned, as did the terminals inside the cap, so I'll need to replace them in the near future. For now I used a file and sandpaper to clear the burned deposits, and I still have all the same issues with slow starts. So the cap/rotor aren't the problem either.

I'll be dropping the tank this weekend to determine which pump I need, and will be ordering a new pump at that point. Online sites have the Delphi and AC Delco pumps about $50 less than local stores, so I'll be buying online and probably just having it shipped overnight.

Once I have the new pump in I'll post the results.

Thank you all again.

Antichrist

Reaction score
In the mean time, I have checked:

EGR: Diaphragm moves, a little stiff with truck off. With truck running very stiff, and pushing diaphragm in causes it to run rough. I've read this means the EGR checks out ok.

IAC: Brand new from the parts store with no change. I also tried a used one I had sitting around with no change. With truck running, when I unplug IAC, I get no idle change.

Coolant temp sens: I unplugged the CTS, and also have no change in my rough and low RPM idle. There is also only 1 wire on my CTS, Most that I see are two wire CTS..

I'm just having a hard time accepting that the fuel pump is bad.. At idle its low, 500 RPMS +/-, and rough. Accelerating the truck runs PERFECT.

TPS voltage registers 4.5v at idle, and slowly decreases as throttle plate is opened.

EDIT: More info

I found a little info online to check for possible vacuum leaks.
It involved: Jumping ALDL pins with key on, engine off. Wait for codes. Unplug IAC. Remove ALDL jumper. Turn key off. Wait 15 seconds. Start Truck. If Idle is high, it's a sign of a possible vacuum leak.

My idle was high.

But I also pulled two DTCs...

Code 22: No 2nd gear.
Code 54: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) computer circuit problem - analog to digital (A/D) convertor error.

So I took the truck for a drive around the block. I can physically verify that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear are there, and operating fine. No change in how it shifted or anything. It was perfect except for the usual low RPM, hesitation, etc....

EDIT: More Info

I decided to take out the furl pump relay and bench test it. Bench tests ok.
Reinstalled, and checked relay with a stethoscope while my girlfriend turn the key, relay operates fine.

I listened to the gas tank with my stethoscope while she turned the key, fuel pump is audible, same sound every time I had her turn the key. I can find NOTHING wrong with the fuel pump, or relay.

Last edited: